HybridZ

need the lenght of the driveshaft for rb swap

Spoony

hi,

does anybody know the length of the driveshaft for a rb swap? i have the rb and the 260z driveshaft.

a friend of mine can weld and balance it, but he need to know how long it should be after all.

is the stock diff ratio ok for driving or is it to short? how much HP can it handle and does it have a LSD?

its a 1974 260Z from CA.

thanks

eddie

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
MOVED TO RB FORUM

hi,

does anybody know the length of the driveshaft for a rb swap? i have the rb and the 260z driveshaft.

a friend of mine can weld and balance it, but he need to know how long it should be after all.

is the stock diff ratio ok for driving or is it to short? how much HP can it handle and does it have a LSD?

its a 1974 260Z from CA.

thanks

eddie

Propshaft length would depend on what engine mounts are used, so one size isn't going to fit all.

As for the diff it will be fine unless you go for mad power

As stock it will not have a lsd

i will buy some mckinney mounts. is 1-2mm longer or shorter ok? is there a unfixed part of the shaft that regulates lenght differences (dont know the english word for it, sorry) ?

im going for 450whp max.

is a lsd worth the money for street driving and maybe 10% track? is there any lsd that fits plug and play in the oem diff housing? if yes, how much is it and where to buy?

thanks for your help ;)

i will buy some mckinney mounts. is 1-2mm longer or shorter ok? is there a unfixed part of the shaft that regulates lenght differences (dont know the english word for it, sorry) ?

im going for 450whp max.

is a lsd worth the money for street driving and maybe 10% track? is there any lsd that fits plug and play in the oem diff housing? if yes, how much is it and where to buy?

thanks for your help ;)

I used the front half of the GTST manual prop, as that has the right fitting into the GTST gearbox

The front of the propshaft is a push fit into the gearbox, so few mil either way will not be an issue

As for the diff you'll need to ask others as mine will not be making 500hp, but I suspect it wouldn't last long

(assuming the drive shafts and hubs don't break first !)

As for the LSD, Im only making about 265hp and if I give it throttle in even a moderate corner it breaks traction on me. A LSD is the way to go for sure. And with 450rwhp Im sure the 30 something year old differential would be nothing more than a ticking hand grenade. Quaife makes a really nice drop in helical LSD for our differentials. The other route is using a clutch one from a Z32. Theres more but they are less common.

If your running McKinney mounts Im sure you could ask him what the length of the drive shaft is. Im sure hed be happy to tell you if your spending some money there.

Edited by jakeoster

I will measure mine for you tomorrow before I remove it.

I just happen to put mine up on my MaxJax lift today, so I can start the install of new adjustable suspension/ GT-R short nose CLSD/ MM r230 axle kit/ CM stub axles, and finally cut the fender arches, and install my sectioned struts with Illumina's.

Here's how driveshaft shops want the measurements:

1. Bottom the yoke in the transmission and pull it out 1".

2. Measure from the center line of the u-joint opening on the yokes to the flange face on the diff.

That's the number to give to the driveshaft shop, along with the yoke.

There is another differential route most people have not considered yet. Which is the Subaru Sti LSD Differential. It is the same housing as the 260z's differential housing so no modifivation are needed to mount. Althou the 260z u joints are not compatible the sti axles can be modified or you can order cv axles made. I have a stock rb25det on a 260z and have the subaru Sti 2008 diff and axles on my car. The great thing about these differentials is that they're not decades old and dont cost you a limb. I got mine with about 5,000 miles. I dont know how much is it in km and im too lazy to do the conversion.

Ill take pictures tomorow and post them up for you.

Edited by David GArcia

Yea you are definatly going to need a lsd of some sort. I have a pretty much stock rb26 at 9psi with a r230 (300zx twin turbo) rear end and it breaks looks in anything below 4th gear. Luckly it tracks straight so its pretty fun.

I want to say mine was like 23" and some change but that will be different that yours. Do it all now and save yourself money overall.

I forgot to mention you can use your old differential to measure the driveshaft if you go the sti route since the casing is exactly the same as the 260z casing which is the longnose r180, BUT if you choose a different lets say its a r230 shortnose then get the diff first mount and measure.

I am trying to install RB25 engine(havent decided yet turbo or NA) but the problem is I cant find any differential here either its R180 or R200. Are there any other differentials which can be fitted with minimum cutting?

Thats the one thing which is holding me to buy the gear and gearbox.

any help will be appreciated.

Edited by docaam

sounds interesting, how much is the sti diff? quaife takes 750€ for that datsun lsd diff, 645gbp.

The sti diff can be bough from $500-$600 the companion axles go around $400. Shipping is also a big factor for you since you live in germany I dont know how much it would cost for them to be shipped. I would like to add that as I was dropping the 260z r180 with the halfshaft on it was heavier than than when i was installing the sti r180 diff with its axles.

I am trying to install RB25 engine(havent decided yet turbo or NA) but the problem is I cant find any differential here either its R180 or R200. Are there any other differentials which can be fitted with minimum cutting?

Thats the one thing which is holding me to buy the gear and gearbox.

any help will be appreciated.

Re-read the Topic and im shure you will find what your looking for.