HybridZ

need the lenght of the driveshaft for rb swap

Spoony

Thanks David,

I think the Quaife route will be the cheaper route for me, as shipping wont be that expensive and i can use the axles.

What kind of upgrade would be nessesary when i take the stock axles? How much HP will they hold as a stock part?

Like i said, a friend of mine is building axles and driveshafts the whole day for living. He could weld in a stronger middle part in the axles as ive seen a

broken one on "Z-Club" forums. But i dont know how much HP he had to break them.

I don't have much experience with the halfshaft of the z. I had in mind that the u joint half shafts would be my weakspot in my build so I went to cv axles right away. Are z32 differentials hard to get in your area? I'm asking this because z32 diff had cv axles attached to then. The z31 also had cv axles and lsd units but I have a feeling they are rare in your area.

I can get z32 parts here in Germany. What does fit and what do i need?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Nissan-300ZX-3-0-V6-Twin-Turbo-/110756821038?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item19c99ef82e

He is breaking the car and has all the parts, does the z32 diff fit plug and play beside the welding of the half shafts to fit in my 4 bolt axles? Does it have a LSD?

Replacing the U-Joints would be fine for me with a quaife diff:

http://www.turbophile.com/technical/uni_joints.html

If the Z32 diff also has a LSD it would be cheaper. Here is one from the UK:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-300ZX-Z32-TWIN-TURBO-LSD-DIFF-DIFFERENTIAL-/220784696248?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3367cb1bb8

Edited by Spoony

Well the quaife route would be the easiest to do since it is basically plug an play. By going to trough this route you also get the benefit of getting a brand new diff with no abuse done to it.

Although the z32 diff is cost less their is alot more fabrication involved. I believe the driveshaft would be longer. A mustache bar would have to be made. A diff mount would need to be fabricated.

With the power your looking for the stock Z axles will not put up with that kind of torque for long. However, it all depends on how you drive it I guess. Hard launches will certainly kill them pretty quick and probably even just heavy footed driving after a while would be enough. What kills drive train components is shock and torque.

Im not sure what the difference is between an R180 and an R200 if both had a Quaife LSD and a CV conversion done. You might be able to get away with your R180 with the Quaife and the CV axle conversion done, but I think an R200 would be a safer bet.

Im running an R200 in my car from a 78' 280z. It is a very big and strong looking diff, however it's weakness is its internals and it is not LSD. Dropping in a Quaife makes it a very stout setup. Couple it with a CV conversion and you have yourself a rear end that can take quite a bit of abuse.

You should certainly be looking into a CV axle conversion from Modern Motorsports though.

Edited by jakeoster

I forgot to mention that the z32 diff's do have lsd. They are not clutch type lsd's but vlsd's. The only difference from them is when a clutch lsd breaks it losses its ability to distribute power. When a vlsd breaks it goes from being an lsd to turning into a open differential. For this reson I believe that a vlsd is a way to go.

I forgot to mention that the z32 diff's do have lsd. They are not clutch type lsd's but vlsd's. The only difference from them is when a clutch lsd breaks it losses its ability to distribute power. When a vlsd breaks it goes from being an lsd to turning into a open differential. For this reson I believe that a vlsd is a way to go.

Vlsd requires quite a bit of custom work to get it installed and is not a very common differential to find. They only came out of an "SS" version of the Z31. Also the fluid inside them tends to lose efficiency in use and I think the fluid breaks down over time.

The best balance between no maintence and performance under hard driving is the helical type LSD.

Vlsd requires quite a bit of custom work to get it installed and is not a very common differential to find. They only came out of an "SS" version of the Z31. Also the fluid inside them tends to lose efficiency in use and I think the fluid breaks down over time.

The best balance between no maintence and performance under hard driving is the helical type LSD.

Although I agree with you about helical lsd's the vlsd did come in the late 300zx's also known as the z32's. They are actually more accesible and afforodible than the helical but there is far more work to be done to make it fit. The viscous do break down over time but they have the same usable lsd lifespan as the clutch type. The only difference insead of not functioning at all the turn into a regular open differential.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/90443-z32-vlsd-r200-swap

Spoony if the halfshaft u-joints were meant to hold any power, wouldnt they still be used in todays automotive technology? Although it would be the easiest way to finish your car it may not be the most reliable. Then again it also depends on how you use the power of the rb26dett...

How much HP/TQ will the quaife diff and the new U-Joints hold?

Im always looking for the easiest way, building custom diff fixing points will throw back my project to much.

I want to get the car running as fast as possible :wink:

The way I see it is if you are looking for that much power then you need a stout car to back it up. 500-600hp is in the upper echelon of Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Corvette, Viper etc and those are in $100,000 range. And the Z has a pretty significant power to weight ratio over all these cars.

Not to mention the Z is a 30+ year old car and only came with like 120hp from the factory. I'm pretty sketchy with using the stock half shafts for now on my build and I'm only in the 260hp range.

Generally a **** load of horsepower in a classic car with a fragile rear end that is rare in your area is not really a good idea. Pay up now or pay later with added damage.

It's your choice though.