HybridZ

building the first RB260Z in Germany

Spoony

I don't understand the 1.500€ but I'd say go for it.... :2thumbs:

1.500€ are 1.900$

I can sell my RB25 for 1.300€ and the RB26 will cost me 2.800€ (incl. loom and ecu)

So the difference i have to pay if i want to go for a RB26 is 1.500€ :wink:

Im not sure if its worth it. My plan was to stay with 0.9 bar on the RB25 which will produce arround 320HP, but im not sure if i will get bored of it to quickly. If that happens, and im sure it will happen quick, i would have to spend 1.200€ for an upgrade turbo and bigger injectors on the RB25.

One of my best skills is to calculate things until they look like a good deal for me :-D

But i will wait until my car arrives. Right now its in the middle of the atlantic sea, if the ship sinks i will have two engines and no Datsun to drop it in...car will arrive on the 4th of November.

Edited by Spoony

1.500€ are 1.900$

I can sell my RB25 for 1.300€ and the RB26 will cost me 2.800€ (incl. loom and ecu)

So the difference i have to pay if i want to go for a RB26 is 1.500€ :wink:

Im not sure if its worth it. My plan was to stay with 0.9 bar on the RB25 which will produce arround 320HP, but im not sure if i will get bored of it to quickly. If that happens, and im sure it will happen quick, i would have to spend 1.200€ for an upgrade turbo and bigger injectors on the RB25.

One of my best skills is to calculate things until they look like a good deal for me :-D

But i will wait until my car arrives. Right now its in the middle of the atlantic sea, if the ship sinks i will have two engines and no Datsun to drop it in...car will arrive on the 4th of November.

Hey Spoony-

How will you get the car thru the TUV? Are you going to pay for that special inspection since it has a different motor? Or is there some other way since it is an older car?

Hi,

TÜV will be another 1.500€, same price as for a R34GTR. "Normal" TÜV is arround 150€, but special cars need special tests which you have to pay in Germany.

This is the price you have to pay when you dont have any speed limit.

The cars have to be in a good condition, brakes, lights and the wheels have to run free without any body contact. If you change your wheels or exhaust, you have to go there and an engineer will test it to make sure you are not a danger for other people on the road.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

the car arrived last week. What a horror with picking it up at Rotterdam/Holland and the customs....but now im glad its here.

Im waiting for some parts to arrive. Ordered some Honda S2000 seats, hope they will fit in. Engine mounts should arrive next week, Q45 throttle body is parked at our customs office.

I also ordered some RB Rota in 9 and 9,5x17 in gunmetal.

Engine is ready for the swap, cant wait to get this ugly piece of iron out of my Datsun :D

p1030927i.jpg

im not sure if i should stay with the stock turbo for the start, or make it a GT35 or upgrade the stock turbo. Im not sure right now, but i guess the stock turbo will bring enought

fun for the beginning. Will put it on 0,85 bar.

Im not sure what to choose as a brake upgrade, any ideas?

p1030928z.jpg

Here is my personal "Assparade" :D

Guess it will get more equal when i get the fenders and the 9.5x17 wheels on the Datsun ;)

p1030926c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

the swap will be done in the next days. I wanted to swap the seats first because my 911 needs his place in my garage. Doing an engine swap is ok, but swapping the seats needs more space, thats why i started there.

I have all the parts for my swap, but if youre arround Bielefeld youre welcome to visit me :wink:

I still dont know what to do with the rear end. It should hold at least arround 300HP, 500HP would be better.

How can i solve this?

For the rear end, an R200 LSD, 300ZX CVs, and, if need be, beefier stub axles is what I'd do. They were/are available through Modern Motorsport, but I'd get them through Chequered Flag Racing instead (I think the name is, search "chequered" on here). From what I've read he has great customer service.

• 2 months later...

Spoony,

Your car looks great. I just my RB powered s30 on the road. The stock turbo spools up fast. For daily driving, I really like it. I can accelerate from 60 mph in 5 th gear and be up to ninty in a hurry without downshifting. I plan to stay with the stock turbo and gradually increasing the boost. I don't think you will be disappointed. Obviously if you want to make 300 plus you will have to have a programmable ecu to alter your afr's, change injector size and upgrade the turbo.

Look forward to your progress.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Found some cars to rip a RB26 out, welcome to the slaughterhouse :D

c347i12i4s4vu4na1.jpg

c347hsk1a6h159qs9.jpg

Only joking, will buy a spare rb26 engine. rb25 engine is sold now.

I calculated that its cheaper to put in a RB26 from the start for my project ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, wish we could feasibly own the Skyline in the states. 300zx doesnt cut the mustard to me and the NSX & GTR are too overpriced in my opinion. Guess we will have to make due with the STI or Evo. Do miss my Z though. I currently drive a Kia Rio which is about as exciting as an electric tooth brush. Enjoy those babies!

• 2 weeks later...

That is one extremely sharp looking 260z! I hope it won't bother you to know that your classic Z is not the first in Germany to have a RB powerplant! There was a RB25 powered 280zx there last year. It was a 2+2 no less. Best of luck with your swap!