HybridZ

A One Inch Diameter Brake Master Cylinder for the S30 Z Cars

OK - so got mine going. Very wierd - pedal is extremely touchy. Brakes grab at the right spot in the pedal travel, and it stops on a dime, but you barely have to push the pedal pressure-wise. Pedal is very sensitive - and when I mash on it (maish if you're from the South) I can't lock them up. Did I accidentally drop the reaction disk in the booster? 78 280 - Toyota vented front/240SX rears. I 'believe' I left the valves in place - but it's been well over a year since I installed this.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

As I'm doing this upgrade to accomodate my S12W Front / 200SX rear (disc) setup, I've hit a snag/question.

I'm to the point of swapping the the cylinder plugs that the brake lines attach to.  I pulled the plugs out of the old MC, but when i went to swap them into the new MC, I see the new one already has the cones.  On the old one they appear to be built-in....or stuck together.

So:  Part 46038-B5012 referenced earlier

Do I have one piece here, or two pieces (a plug and a cone) that are stuck together.  

IMG_20131215_190601_208_zpsd1a585af.jpg

• 3 months later...

Ok well i think the front page of this thread should be updated as it is now too late for me since i already ordered my wilwood master cylinder....but the parts you need to make this work is nissan  part # 46038-B5012.....which is no longer availible!.....if anybody knows where there might be NOS of this please let me know.....or any alternatives rather then the ones mentioned on the front page.

Edited by theatriks

Why is this thread stickied anyways nobody even responds to people in this thread wheelman asked a question on dec 15 and it still hasnt been answered....plus it has the wrong info in it.......get rid of it or update it.

" Ok well i think the front page of this thread should be updated as it is now too late for me since i already ordered my wilwood master cylinder....but the parts you need to make this work is nissan part # 46038-B5012.....which is no longer availible!.....if anybody knows where there might be NOS of this please let me know.....or any alternatives rather then the ones mentioned on the front page. "

The answers are in this very well written thread.

Note from this thread that the bottom hard line fittings from 72 240Z and 79 280ZX MCs will work.

Go to pick and pull and buy a MC for $10.00.

• Remove bottom port fittings.
  • Install fittings in the wilwood MC.

Also try:  http://s-s.www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxEODjxaIfM

Edited by Miles

" Ok well i think the front page of this thread should be updated as it is now too late for me since i already ordered my wilwood master cylinder....but the parts you need to make this work is nissan part # 46038-B5012.....which is no longer availible!.....if anybody knows where there might be NOS of this please let me know.....or any alternatives rather then the ones mentioned on the front page. "

The answers are in this very well written thread.

Note from this thread that the bottom hard line fittings from 72 240Z and 79 280ZX MCs will work.

Go to pick and pull and buy a MC for $10.00.

Also try:  http://s-s.www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxEODjxaIfM

Thanks for the humour but even you are mentioning parts that just arent availible anymore at least from the websites and dealers ive been calling....the bottom hard line fittings or outlet fittings from a a 72 240z or 79 280zx are no longer availible ...maybe theres old new stock out there........i was mentioning to change this in the first post .....the first post is very well written and very long and informative .....but some info in there is incorrect now and should be updated thats all im saying.

Source for MC bottom port fittings:

For the benefit of others, and as stated elsewhere above, go to a reycling yard such as Pick and Pull and buy a used MC and remove the required fittings for your Wilwood 1 inch MC swap. Cost me $10.00.

lol you guys down in the states must have a plethora of datsun and datsun parts in wrecking yards lol where I'm from 3 wrecking yards in the city and zero datsuns or datsun parts .

But if you know of any scrap yards that will ship a 10 MC up to Canada please let me know .

• 2 weeks later...

Ok well i think the front page of this thread should be updated as it is now too late for me since i already ordered my wilwood master cylinder....but the parts you need to make this work is nissan  part # 46038-B5012.....which is no longer availible!.....if anybody knows where there might be NOS of this please let me know.....or any alternatives rather then the ones mentioned on the front page.

If you read my post on the second page of this thread I pointed out a very simple, cheap and effective solution to the 3/8" port fittings the Wilwood MC comes with.  You cut that end off the hard lines that connect the MC to the distribution block, install 3/8" flare fittings on the correct end and install the modified lines.  It sounds like Wheelman13 already did this and it cost him 99 cents.  I did this with mine ~4 years ago and have had absolutely no trouble with it since.  In my case I fabbed completely new lines with a 3/8" on one end and a 10mm on the other, bought all the supplies from a local NAPA store at the time for less than $10.00 USD.

BTW: I tried using the port fittings from an after market 7/8" MC I'd installed in my Z before the 1" Wilwood and they didn't work.  I don't remember why now as that was 4 years ago.

Updating the title of this thread isn't necessary, if you read the whole thing several solutions are provided.

Edited by wheelman

Source for MC bottom port fittings:

For the benefit of others, and as stated elsewhere above, go to a reycling yard such as Pick and Pull and buy a used MC and remove the required fittings for your Wilwood 1 inch MC swap. Cost me $10.00.

See next quote:

lol you guys down in the states must have a plethora of datsun and datsun parts in wrecking yards lol where I'm from 3 wrecking yards in the city and zero datsuns or datsun parts .

But if you know of any scrap yards that will ship a 10 MC up to Canada please let me know .

For as long as I can remember going to the local wrecking yards (a few decades now), there has not been any Datsuns in these yards. There may have been some maybe when I first started going, but didn't own a Datsun at the time. There just are not that many Datsuns around here, and the cars usually don't sit for long before they get crushed.

So to repeatedly say "Just go to the local pick n pull" does not apply to some of us.

• 3 weeks later...

It's mentioned just a page back, but there are 3/8x24 male to 10mm female adapters available. http://www.brakequip.com/products/automotive-fittings/male-to-female-thread-adapters or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Line-Thread-Adapter-Male-3-8-x-24NF-Female-M10-x-1-Inverted-Seat-/390439357312?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae7ffcb80 these would be the only things I'd add to the first post. Just so people know. Otherwise I didn't know about these and just made new lines with a 3/8x24 fitting on one end and a 10mmx1.0 fitting on the other end.

• 2 months later...

It's mentioned just a page back, but there are 3/8x24 male to 10mm female adapters available. http://www.brakequip.com/products/automotive-fittings/male-to-female-thread-adapters or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Line-Thread-Adapter-Male-3-8-x-24NF-Female-M10-x-1-Inverted-Seat-/390439357312?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae7ffcb80 these would be the only things I'd add to the first post. Just so people know. Otherwise I didn't know about these and just made new lines with a 3/8x24 fitting on one end and a 10mmx1.0 fitting on the other end.

Thanks for the info.  I purchased the fittings and I hope this will solve the problem.  For those wanting to purchase these fittings, I went to this website http://dmpfasteners.com/shop/search/results?search_in_description=1&keyword=BQ50 as brakequip online shop requires minimum of $10 purchase and the shipping is expensive.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably gonna try using that Wilwood MC setup, but I'm unsure about which Booster to use. (I'm guessing that's what's not really talked about in the 1st post :P )

Can anyone tell me which one can I use if I don't want to drill new holes to install a new booster?  (so basically with the same bolt pattern)

btw, I have a '72 240Z, so one of the smallest boosters. I'm afraid it's gonna be a problem with such a large MC.

Edited by Interceptor

I purchased the larger 2+2 booster and it worked fine. I only had to flip it upside down. Meaning I rotated it 180 degrees. The vacuum hose was more than long enough still. I believe I even shortened the vacuum hose.

Edited by smoorenc

• 2 months later...

No autoparts store can get the boosters for the 240z to 280z. The 280zx 10in booster is to big. And the z32 booster and MC is to touchy for our cars. I was ablw to snag the last booster amazon had, as far as i know but it did only say one left in stock. There was a booster that was slightly smaller than the 10in for later z cars that fit but ive had a hard time finding that in stock too. I just did the MC upgrade.