A One Inch Diameter Brake Master Cylinder for the S30 Z Cars

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 9 months later...

I submit an alternative option for a 1" brake master cylinder upgrade on the S30.

The late 90's Toyota Tacoma brake booster has the same bolt pattern as the S30 on the firewall side. With some minor filing/grinding, and chopping about an inch off the brake booster input push rod that connects to the pedal, this booster can be installed in an S30. I do not know the exact range of years, but I used one for a 1997 Tacoma, 2WD smaller engine. This is the smaller booster of the era, at 8.7" diameter (still larger than the stock S30 booster, but it fits in the space fine). Oreilly and Autozone generally have this booster in stock, as a remanufacture (~$200).

Then you can get a new 1" brake master cylinder (~$75)  meant to mate to the Tacoma booster. Again this was in stock at my local Autozone. The new MC will require fresh brake hard lines for the short run from the cylinder to the distribution junction, since the orientation is different.

All in all, slightly more expensive than the upgrade in the OP, but parts are newer and should be more reliable. Also by moving to a slightly bigger booster it helps alleviate some of the increased pedal pressure the 1" MC requires.

Edited by bawfuls

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Be warned, the adapters from Flyin Miata are no longer the correct part for this swap. From the description "Adapters have an M10x1.0 inverted flare female fitting and 1/8 NPT (1/8-27) male on the other."

I had to cut my lines and install new fittings, not  a hard job but definitely ruins the day when you were expecting a 30 minute job and it turns in to a 2 hour job. 

• 3 months later...

I did this upgrade several months ago and have one minor note to add. I just now removed the cones from the outlets on two 280ZX master cylinders. One of the 280ZX MCs had been on my 240Z with vented Toyota front and 240SX rear brakes for two years. The other 280ZX MC was an old one I purchased to use as a core. The 280ZX has front and rear disk brakes and yet I found residual check valves in the front and rear outlets of both 280ZX master cylinders. Thanks for sharing the nice information.

3 hours ago, Jenifer Tai said:

I did this upgrade several months ago and have one minor note to add. I just now removed the cones from the outlets on two 280ZX master cylinders. One of the 280ZX MCs had been on my 240Z with vented Toyota front and 240SX rear brakes for two years. The other 280ZX MC was an old one I purchased to use as a core. The 280ZX has front and rear disk brakes and yet I found residual check valves in the front and rear outlets of both 280ZX master cylinders. Thanks for sharing the nice information.

By cones do you mean the rubber residual check valves or the cone shaped seats the brake pipe seats sits on when mated to the mc?

And yes every 280zx mc I took apart had the rubber residual check valves.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:04 PM, Miles said:

By cones do you mean the rubber residual check valves or the cone shaped seats the brake pipe seats sits on when mated to the mc?

And yes every 280zx mc I took apart had the rubber residual check valves.

yes you are right

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Twisted46 said:

Hmm, mine has an internal leak allowing fluid to flow between the reservoirs over time. 

Yep. Two of my Wilwood 1 in. MCs leaked internally right out of the box. The third one had damaged bleed screws.  I ended up buying a 1979 280ZX MC from Arizona Z Cars.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but does anyone have recent experiences with the wilwood 1" mc's? 

I pulled mine off and it's weeping from the rear. I got maybe 20k miles out of it.

I did like the pedal feel with wilwood 4 piston calipers front and rear but I'm debating to go with a 15/16 instead. 

20211004_201609.jpg

I am not surprised that your Wilwood 1 inch MC is leaking internally.

I bought three in the past to replace my 79 280zx MC.  Two of the three leaked internally right out of the box as I was bench bleeding them and the other one had the bleeder screws mashed which made it impossible to bleed.

Other have had problems as well.

Zero quality control.

Dave at Arizona Z Cars sells the 15/16 MC.

Thanks @Miles. I placed an order for the 15/16 from AZC. It's around the same price shipped as the Wilwood 1" MC. Hopefully no more leaks. FYI- it looks like Steven has taken over AZC from Dave full time now. Nice guy, I think he answered some Q's earlier this year on a bunch if AZC parts I purchased new from Dave a long time ago. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...