HybridZ

a differential in a 74 260z auto ???

icewtr

So i was in the junk yard sunday and came across a 1974 260z 2+2 automatic. I was searching for another r200 so i looked under this car and I havenever seen this diff or the half shafts before. It had 5 bolts holding in the shafts to the diff and a u joint righ on the piece coming out of the diff. Does anyone know what diff that is. Looked like an R180 but the safts didnthave 4 bolts holding them to the diff.

The 5 bolts are likely the bolts holding the bearing cover on to the differential housing. All the R180s are like this.

The early cars have "bolt-in" output shafts that use a long bolt through the center of the output shaft to hold the shaft in. These versions also have companion flange with 4 bolts that are used to attach the drive axel to the output shaft.

The late 74 260Z (mid-year change I think) eleminated the companion flange, the 4 bolts, and the long bolt through the center of the output shaft. The output shaft directly holds the u-joint and snaps into the differential. The "snap-in" type have a spring clip near the end of the output shaft that interfaces with a groove in the side gears (inside the differential).

I believe the splines are the same on both types but due to the difference in how they are attached to the differential they cannot (should not?) be interchaged.