HybridZ

Out with the old, and in with the new.

ColtGT4g63

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I need to spend some more time tuning with these turbos. Its pretty hard to compare the two set ups. Even though these turbos are pretty small, they are quite laggy. So I'm having a bit of trouble spooling them off the line. Once I set up a 2-step in the car i'll have a better idea of what the car can do at the track. Currently, I launch the car at 6k rpm side stepping the clutch and it takes off like crazy but doesn't start boosting yet. So the RPM ends up dropping back down to 2 - 2500 then it starts to build boost and take off again. So there is a lot of down time that I'm missing out on some MPH and E/T. I got the boost up to roughly 12 psi at the track and I feel it should be trapping a bit more then 99. (the Z trapped 102 MPH when it was N/A) I'm also trying to run the car on strictly pump gas. I want it to be a street car and not be dependent what so ever on race gas / E85.

The Z with the S475 was extremely laggy as well. But with the auto trans and Tbrake, spooling it was not an issue. And it was on E85. So I was able to give it lots of timing and boost. I need to run in the 6's and trap over 105 mph in the 1/8th on pump gas before I'll be happy with the way the coupe performs.

Here is a link to all the pics I took while doing the turbos. http://home.tiora.net/davidc/?path=Factory%20Five%2FDaytona%20Coupe%2FTurbo

Edited by ColtGT4g63

• 2 weeks later...

Dig the a2w intercooler setup. Do you think its the a/r on the exhaust housing causing the lag?

Thanks! A/W is the only way I can fit any decent kind of intercooler on this car. More then likely the A/R is too big for the motor. I'm setting up a 2-step / anti lag system on the car right now and will be taking it back out to the track on Nov. 3rd. Should be an improvement over the last time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  The Toy is doing great.  I'm switching around the turbo setup quite a bit here, should have it back on the road in a few weeks.   I'm ditching the twin set up and installing one big single.  Forced performance was selling Journal bearing GT series HTA turbos for a good price so I purchased one of their GT4294HTA turbos.  Should be a monster!!!! I'll let ya'll know how it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome to check it out anytime you would like, working on it or not. What kits are you looking at?  I should be done with the turbo install tomorrow, and will probably be driving it around next weekend a bunch.  If I'm up in your area I can swing by your place.  Speaking of new turbo....  Here's a sneak peak pic of the progress.

GT42%20install.jpg

You planning on coming to the del mar/56 freeway area? If not I can swing by whenever you've got time, I would come by today but I am currently on the tail end of a drive from SLO and I don't think I'm gonna feel like going to el cajon when I get home, let alone much of anywhere. I'm off Tuesday and Wednesday if you're gonna be around either of those days as well

As far as kits, I'd love a Type 65 But I have a suspicion ill end up with a roadster due to my size, but that's why I want to stare at your car again, I want to see if there's any room for frame/ aluminum mods to get my fat ass to fit any better,

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

Fuzzy ~ There's also the new 818 which promises to be the most wookie friendly car they've ever designed. Also is overall a killer philosophy build imo. Might be the biggest hit ever in the kit car world on their hands, but time will tell.

SQ, If i could have upgraded the twins easily I would have, but there just wasn't enough space around where the turbos sat to accommodate a physically larger turbo.  what turbos are you going with?  Hows the motor doing? I remember a while back to did a little damage to it, any updates on that thing? If you know of anyone interested in my old twin set up, let me know! :wink:  

I'm going to be running dual precision mfs-6152e t4 .58ar. It should spool pretty quick if I did my homework right. I hope to make atleast the same power as before but from 3k to 6500. I made 577whp on just one sc6152 t3 in my integra. I hear the billet mfs wheel is better than the old cast sc wheel but not as good as the cea wheel. The 2cea's were out of my price range. The 6.0 is going back together now. I had gone to a stock 150k 5.3l junkyard engine last season and it took a lot of abuse. 770whp to be exact lol. But came to an end while crusing on the freeway. Having pulled it apart but its making a floping noise.

i will pass the word around on your turbo's

Edited by sq_creations