HybridZ

Out with the old, and in with the new.

ColtGT4g63

Oh yeah it's way more fun when you aren't sure what goes where. That's what the women just don't get, we throw out the instructions because we like the adventure! When I take nuts and bolts off, I get them all into a pile, and later I just have to sort through them based on how many of each rust color there are and how dirty they are/what kind of dirt it is. Not sure how to do it with new hardware though. Good luck!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been working on the car for a little bit here and there this week after getting home from work. Pretty much was only able to get the front brake components installed. Also, I picked up a used engine harness and have been "re-working" it a bunch at work. Not too many update pics this time... Awwwwwww!!!

DSCN29531.JPG

DSCN29541.JPG

DSCN2955.JPG

Got lots more done to the car this weekend! Actually looks like I've accomplished something this time. Was able to get the rear end installed up in the car. And the rear shocks / springs installed as well. Out of the 3 available rear end options, I chose to go with the 4 link. Other options were a 3 link with pan hard rod, and independent. Independent would be cool, but costs significantly more. And I was worried that the 3 link wouldn't be a strong enough set up for what I plan to do with the car. I also got the steering shaft installed, and was able to start riveting some of the aluminum paneling into place. This coming weekend I've got 3 days off of work, but unfortunately I have to spend them on vacation in Las Vegas. :-( Oh well, here's some pics!

DSCN2957.JPG

DSCN2958.JPG

DSCN2959.JPG

DSCN2960.JPG

DSCN2961.JPG

DSCN2962.JPG

DSCN2963.JPG

DSCN2964.JPG

DSCN2965.JPG

DSCN2966.JPG

DSCN2973.JPG

DSCN2974.JPG

DSCN2975.JPG

DSCN2976.JPG

DSCN2977.JPG

DSCN2978.JPG

DSCN2981.JPG

DSCN2982.JPG

DSCN2983.JPG

Edited by ColtGT4g63

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since an update. but I've gotten a whole lot done! Although it doesn't look like much. All the work I've been doing is very tedious, and hard. Fitting these aluminum panels is a HUGE pain in the ass. Have to drill hundreds of holes and line everything up, silicon, then rivet it all together. So with the panel layed in place you mark it, remove it, and drill it, then install it, and drill the holes through the frame, then remove it and clean the debris, then install it again for riveting. And of course it never lines up perfectly after removing it... OY! Its late.... Here are some pics.

I got the engine pretty much all buttoned up and ready to go. Still waiting on a few things like starter, water pump, and alternator. I'm using a set of poly Ford 4.6L mounts. Modified them to fit on the 5.3L.

DSCN3000.JPG

DSCN3001.JPG

DSCN3004.JPG

DSCN3005.JPG

DSCN3006.JPG

DSCN3009.JPG

DSCN3010.JPG

DSCN3032.JPG

DSCN3033.JPG

I got all the pedals installed, I had to redrill the place that they provide with the kit. When everything was installed with the original holes, Some other holes didn't line up at all. Great QC! But after a few modifications I was able to get it all worked out.

DSCN3021.JPG

DSCN3013.JPG

DSCN3014.JPG

DSCN3034.JPG

DSCN3035.JPG

After getting a bunch of the aluminum paneling installed, its really starting to look like a car now. Pretty Exciting!!! I cant wait to drive this thing around the neighborhood in its "frame" form, with open exhaust. Its REALLY going to piss some people off!! Haha.

DSCN3022.JPG

DSCN3023.JPG

DSCN3024.JPG

DSCN3025.JPG

DSCN3026.JPG

DSCN3028.JPG

DSCN3027.JPG

DSCN3029.JPG

DSCN3030.JPG

DSCN3031.JPG

Time for bed!

So with your modded Ford mounts...will they allow the LS to just bolt right up to the existing engine mount points? Did you have any trouble welding them (like melting poly material)? I dont envy those panel installs...looks like one hell of a time consuming *****...but damn its looking good!

I'm hoping that's what's going to happen. I'll find out in a week or two. I'm pretty much all ready to connect the motor to the trans, then drop it in! The metal on the mounts was pretty thick so I was able to turn up the heat and weld them quickly before the high temps soaked into the poly. Didn't really have a problem at all.

I finally got all the brake lines done! So I am able to bolt the wheels on the car now. Looks CRAZY with the tube frame, and giant tires all around. I wanna drive this thing soo bad!!! :-D

Today I finally got to spend a lot of time giving the car some lovin! I pretty much got the engine and trans installed and permanently mounted in the car. Other things I finished over the past couple weeks are the pedals, brake components, and clutch stuff. (I have a functioning brake and clutch pedal now) I also welded up a Sump onto the stock fox body fuel tank, which was a huge pain in the ass.

DSCN3059.JPG

DSCN3054.JPG

DSCN3061.JPG

DSCN3036.JPG

DSCN3037.JPG

DSCN3039.JPG

DSCN3040.JPG

DSCN3067.JPG

DSCN3069.JPG

DSCN3070.JPG

DSCN3072.JPG

DSCN3073.JPG

DSCN3075.JPG

DSCN3077.JPG

DSCN3080.JPG

DSCN3076.JPG

The motor sits very low in the car and has A LOT of room around it to work on it. There is a good 8 inch's between the rear of the cylinder head and the firewall area. A set of truck manifolds flipped to point forward fit on there no problem. And there seems to be a good amount of room on the sides where I'll be able to fit a couple turbos, I mean... Mufflers! :wink:

The motor sits very low in the car and has A LOT of room around it to work on it. There is a good 8 inch's between the rear of the cylinder head and the firewall area. A set of truck manifolds flipped to point forward fit on there no problem. And there seems to be a good amount of room on the sides where I'll be able to fit a couple turbos, I mean... Mufflers! :wink:

Now that's what I like to hear. Great progress on the build!

• 1 month later...

Awesome car. I built a Unique Cobra back in 1993, and really had a blast driving it. Had a pumped up 302 with 4x2 Webers on it. One day I would like to do another one, dream would be one of the Kirkham kits. http://www.kirkhammotorsports.com/.

Factory Five makes some very good quality kits for sure, and your build is looking good. Take your time and try not to paint it until after your done with the build and have adjusted and worked out.

post-4563-070123700 1326326216_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Palmetto - Thanks for the advice, I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself and rushing things. But things are certainly coming together well as I am almost ready to put the body back on the car.

sq - Things are going pretty good! Soo much has happened since my last post on here that I don't even know where to start. I actually got the motor all fired up and running a few weeks ago, and am a drive shaft away from driving this thing around the block. Radiator and all the duct work in the front is finished. All the aluminum paneling is done. Interior is carpeted, seats installed, dash is done, All the switch's and gauges are finished. Today I painted all of the door frames and installed them temporarily before the body goes back on. Next week my goal is going to be to put the body back on the car.

Here are a bunch of pics from what I've done along the way since the last pics I post. If you've got any questions about any of them, just ask. :-)

DSCN3223.JPG

DSCN3232.JPG

DSCN3224.JPG

DSCN3083.JPG

DSCN3155.JPG

DSCN3158.JPG

DSCN3160.JPG

DSCN3164.JPG

DSCN3168.JPG

DSCN3161.JPG

DSCN3172.JPG

DSCN3174.JPG

DSCN3176.JPG

DSCN3178.JPG

DSCN3228.JPG

DSCN3237.JPG

DSCN3255.JPG

DSCN3256.JPG

good lord..looks like you'll be on the road and legal in just weeks!

Oh ya!! That reminds me... Another piece of update info. I went to the DMV a few weeks ago and received the first piece of my, "kit car in CA registration" must. Because CA sucks, and only allows 500 kit cars to be registered on a calender year, The need to get to the DMV ASAP after Jan 1st is very important. I couldn't get Jan 2nd off of work so I had to go on the next available day off, which was roughly 2 weeks after that. Luckily for me, kit cars aren't as popular in CA anymore so I was roughly number 70 out of 500. And the last 2 years, they didn't even issue all 500 sequence numbers. So after I get it all completed my next stop will be an appointment with the CHP for a light inspection. Followed by a visit to the state referee for an emissions label. Then back to the DMV to submit all the paper work and get my plates. Pain in the ass process huh? Hopefully it will all be worth it.

I just read through this thread getting extremely jealous, and then read that you were in san diego, and am now more than jealous. I absolutely LOVE the type 65, and have even made plans to Build one out of my terminator if it ever gets crashed (which is the first and only time ive ever been inclined to hope some retard would pull out in front of me in that car)

Where are you at in SD? if you dont mind id love to come check out the project one of these days.

Edit: on the topic of SC500 vehicles, i always heard horror stories of having to camp out at the DMV on new years to get them because they flew through them on the 1st, good to know they are at least lasting until February nowadays

Edited by Fuzzydicerule