HybridZ

Out with the old, and in with the new.

ColtGT4g63

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Factory Five warehouse is located in a quiet industrial area, but I was excited to finally get there and go for a tour. If I did not have the Z, the Daytona 65 Coupe would be on the list, but the wife has gave me the OK to build or buy a Cobra kit next year. But, I have to finish the Z first. I will be reading your build on this project, you are going to enjoy the finish product.

The Factory Five warehouse is located in a quiet industrial area, but I was excited to finally get there and go for a tour. If I did not have the Z, the Daytona 65 Coupe would be on the list, but the wife has gave me the OK to build or buy a Cobra kit next year. But, I have to finish the Z first. I will be reading your build on this project, you are going to enjoy the finish product.

Cool man, Thanks! I'm excited to get started with the thing. I currently have not even touched the car at all since I got it last Sat. I have to get the car out onto the driveway in order to have enough room to pull the body off and store it. THEN I'll start with installing everything on it. I'm also waiting on a few back ordered parts that I need to put the front suspension on. no suspension = no wheels = no rolling = no driveway = no body coming off. So I'm kind of in a waiting stage at the moment.

I've always felt that the Daytona Coupe was copied from the Z-car anyway-haha. So, you swapped a metal Z for a plastic Z. Not to mention that the Daytona is a WAY better investment. Planned power plant?

Well, I've actually got a 5.3 long block that I had bought as a spare for my Datsun. So now, its going to make its way into the Coupe. N/A for starters. We'll see what happens after I get bored without boost. :wink:

Made a bit of progress on the car this weekend. Now I'm pooped!! For starters, I was able to get the car on some harbor freight dolly's and pushed onto the driveway. Once I had the car on the driveway I was able to remove the body off the of the frame. And put it on the side of the house for storage. What a pain in the ass! I can't express to you how horrified I was removing this thing. Have to stretch the front outward the start lifting up, trying not to snag on anything, meanwhile you're hearing all the creeks / cracks / snaps from the fiber glass body. There was even a spot I noticed on the Gel coat that had cracked. Should be okay, since it will all be sanded down before painting anyways. Well here are some pics of that nightmare:

DSCN2927.JPG

DSCN2928.JPG

DSCN2929.JPG

DSCN2930.JPG

DSCN2933.JPG

DSCN2932.JPG

DSCN2934.JPG

DSCN2937.JPG

DSCN2939.JPG

DSCN2940.JPG

DSCN2936.JPG

So after body removal, its time to start installing some parts onto the frame, first I started with the control arms, Spindles, Hubs, shocks / springs, and steering rack. The hardest part about all this is going through the box's and bags trying to find the correct nuts / bolts for the part you're putting on the car, and the directions aren't exactly clear about which box you go into to get said bolt. Oh well... I guess its all part of the fun.

http://home.tiora.net/davidc/Factory%20Five/Daytona%20Coupe/Suspension%20%26%20Steering/DSCN2942.JPG

DSCN2943.JPG

DSCN2945.JPG

DSCN2946.JPG

DSCN2947.JPG

DSCN2948.JPG

DSCN2949.JPG

DSCN2950.JPG

DSCN2951.JPG

DSCN2952.JPG

Ya man! The Z is all gone. Actually ended up getting shipped to Japan believe it or not. Which is another crazy story.

Well I'm actually going to be posting every picture of the car that I take in this thread, so better subscribe if you wanna see the entire thing. So far, things are going slow. But it'll come together.