HybridZ

Out with the old, and in with the new.

ColtGT4g63

I just read through this thread getting extremely jealous, and then read that you were in san diego, and am now more than jealous. I absolutely LOVE the type 65, and have even made plans to Build one out of my terminator if it ever gets crashed (which is the first and only time ive ever been inclined to hope some retard would pull out in front of me in that car)

Where are you at in SD? if you dont mind id love to come check out the project one of these days.

Edit: on the topic of SC500 vehicles, i always heard horror stories of having to camp out at the DMV on new years to get them because they flew through them on the 1st, good to know they are at least lasting until February nowadays

You know they say that the 03 - 04 cobra motor is too big to fit in these cars. They're only suppose to fit the 302's out of fox bodies apparently. But hey, people were also telling me that an LS1 wouldn't fit either. Guess I showed them wrong! You're more then welcome to come by the house and check out the project. I'm working on it just about every weekend, and even some week nights. I live out in El Cajon. Just shoot me a PM whenever you want to cruise by.

I've heard horror story's about the 500 sequence numbers too. I was REALLY paranoid about not getting one of the 500 and having to wait an entire calendar year to get a shot at it again. But in August of 2011 I actually Called DMV in Sacramento and asked them how many they had left and was pleasantly surprised to find out that they had over 100 left!!! So I was confident that all would be well no matter what date I went in to start the registration process on mine.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are actually two being built IIRC, the only mods were the DOHC D side footbox panels and i believe some mods to the firewall, but otherwise it fit just fine. hood clearance is probably an issue but hey, superchargers look awesome

Are you gonna be working on it saturday? if so i may swing out then.

Ya I saw a guy on the FFR forum who was putting a SOHC motor into a coupe and he had to make clearance on the passenger side foot box. And everyone is also saying he will have to modify the hood. People swore up and down that I would have hood clearance as well, but I'm probably going to have a good 6 inch between the top of the intake and the hood. Should be fine.

This Satursday I'll be up in Carlsbad, but will be working on it Friday and Sunday. Plans are to put the body back on. So I'll be at it all day.

I'll hit you up. I may be able to head down Friday

Are you gonna be in cbad in the morning? Theres a car show at the outlet mall by the 5 on Palomar airport rd from 7-9am. If you'll be there that early you should swing by

I'll be up in Carlsbad in the afternoon for a soccer game. Probably won't be able to make the show. Anywho... If you're serious about coming down on Friday just shoot me a PM and I'll give you details and such. If you came Sunday, you could actually help with the install of the body. The more the merrier! But Friday works fine too.

Edited by ColtGT4g63

Got the ride height adjusted and measurement taken for a drive shaft. Also installed the Le mans fuel cap and connected the filler neck to the fuel tank. And that's about it. Put the seats back in to figure out where they're gonna go. I also need to figure out exactly where the body will sit before permanently mounting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Love it!

I've always said that if I had the money to get out of Z cars (whole reason I got into datsuns was for the cheap factor) I'd build a FFR Daytona. I've been a FFR fan since before getting into datsuns (10 years now, holy crap!) and my first love was always the cobra. And for the money I don't think you can do much better than a FFR kit. I've always wanted to tube chassis a S30 and do all sorts of radical stuff, but whenever I price things out I just cry. In the end I'd always end up spending what it would cost to just start with the bones I want, the daytona couple. Even with the added cost of IRS it still makes more sense than modifying the S30 up one side and down the other.

And to clarify, I'm not knocking the S30 one bit, I love it to pieces. But many of us have these grand dreams which will most likely never become a reality. The daytona has served me well to keep my focus and keep the datsun what it is, a budget racer platform.

Subscribed. 2thumbs.gif

Edited by Gollum

Thanks guys!! I've been working my butt off on this thing and it seems to be finally paying off.

Gollum - I couldn't agree with you more. So far on the Coupe I've put close to as much into it as I have on my Z, But the Coupe has WAY better brakes, suspension, chasses / frame, bullet proof rear end, Can fit any t ire under it that I want, Even has creature comforts such as... turn signals! and head lights that work correctly all the time. And high beams! Haha Oh, and I am also adding seat heaters as well. The original wiring on the Z was a nightmare, and half of the stuff didn't work. On the coupe, everything is 100% brand new (except for the engine / trans / rear end)

I'm happy with my decision. :-) Should be an absolute blast when I'm finished.

If the fender gap is just awful, get some 15" wheels with Goodyear Billboards-they are huge! Your low-profile modern tires may be responsible for the gaps. Most of my cobra friends hate the Billboards because they are a true, soft racing tire that pics up rocks and throw then at your pricey paint job.

• 2 weeks later...