HybridZ

1972 240Z RB26DETT build

Ill have to dig up a photo of my cage but basically you want the main hoop to start as close to the rocker as possible, i used the original pocket that the seatbelt sits in and welded my 6x6 plate to that, i also had to modify the rear inner fender for more clearence.

The fuel cell mounting is not 100% as those mounting tabs are in no way shape or form designed to support all the weight of the cell along with the fuel its carrying. You need a strap, or in my case i built a basket for the fuel cell to sit in. It may work but as it is but just keep an eye on those mounting tabs to make sure cracks arent developing. Itll probably be fine but id look into building some sort of more relaible mounting system where you know for sure its 100%

The main hoop should be fixed but it looks like a good part of your cage will need to be redone.

Edited by 240zdan

Ill have to dig up a photo of my cage but basically you want the main hoop to start as close to the rocker as possible, i used the original pocket that the seatbelt sits in and welded my 6x6 plate to that, i also had to modify the rear inner fender for more clearence.

The fuel cell mounting is not 100% as those mounting tabs are in no way shape or form designed to support all the weight of the cell along with the fuel its carrying. You need a strap, or in my case i built a basket for the fuel cell to sit in. It may work but as it is but just keep an eye on those mounting tabs to make sure cracks arent developing. Itll probably be fine but id look into building some sort of more relaible mounting system where you know for sure its 100%

The main hoop should be fixed but it looks like a good part of your cage will need to be redone.

Thanks for the reply.  The fuel cell mounting tab concern had already been brought up by another member and will be at addressed with the addition of straps.  In terms of the cage I am understanding that the bend the cage takes at the base where it mounts to the floor is the main concern and should be straightened and put closer to the rocker?

I agree with all the statements above about the cage, not about triangulating a main hoop with downlegs though.  Although if its just for show I wouldn't particularly worry about changing the design now.  My main hoop was built on 74_5.0l's spec sheet and was so tight to the rockers that I had to hook a ratchet strap to the ends of the legs and squeeze them into the car.  Removing the tension on the strap once it was in place allowed the hoop to 'spring' up against the rockers...thats how tight it needs to be for safety concerns.

post-1760-0-95629700-1357662014_thumb.jpgpost-1760-0-08436000-1357662021_thumb.jpg

The more important matter of the fuel cell though, yes you most definitely need to change the mounting!

No way will those 'locating' tabs be enough to support the weight of a fully fueled cell...and then drive around town an hit bumps!

Personally I built mine out of a 1"x1" square tube full cage with four down legs, welded the nuts inside the legs and made a fully supporting cage for the bottom of the cell to bolt up into the down legs.  Ill try to get some better pics for you when I'm free to do so but heres some pics to give you somewhat of an idea of what I'm talking about.

post-1760-0-42302600-1357662023_thumb.jpgpost-1760-0-46675200-1357662012_thumb.jpgpost-1760-0-07851000-1357662020_thumb.jpgpost-1760-0-68436200-1357662017_thumb.jpgpost-1760-0-86240000-1357662009_thumb.jpg

Edited by redneck1545

redneck: thats exactly how i designed my main hoop. as close to the rockers as possible where the seatbelt pocket used to be.

This really is the best spot to put it..

Triangulating the hoop... what a nono may as well weld rebar to the hoops connecting it to the body. Remember this guys building a very award capable zed here.

If I were you id bitch at the fabricator regardless of what your using the car for. He should know better than to butcher a main hoop like that if he has any sort of cage building experience

After all its your ride and you want it to be 100 perfect, judging by the amount of clear thats laid underneath it.

Another thing to consider is that the rear support bars do not even interact with the rear shock tower in any way. Any decent cage builder would consider suspension point into his designs, extending them that far to the rear floor pan doesnt do much for the rigidity of the chassis

Edited by 240zdan

Thanks very much for the constictive critisism on the cage and fuel cell fellas. I am going to be leaving it alone at this time. I realize that there are problems with the design and will use it as a learning experience. With the chassis strengthening done to the underside of the car the cage will suffice for my current plans for the car which is street and local shows. I will most likely get another chassis for a track car when the time comes. This current car has a lot of extra weight in dynamat etc to be a true track car. Going to paint next week!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a really nice build.  Lots of attention to detail.  I have a 4 year work in progress thats in the paint shop getting that final detail and it will be done.  Almost all the exact components you have in your car (except I stuck with inline 6).  Cant wait to see your end result.  

J

• 3 months later...

Its been quite a while since I lasted posted any progress on the car.  I got married in February to my beautiful wife Isabelle.  We went to Panama for our honeymoon then came back and finished building our new house which we moved into mid April..  So...its been a little busy :-)   

I have done a fair bit of work to the car and it is now in paint and we are in the process of wiring the chassis and engine harness.  First off I will post a few more pictures of the front brake setup as I had a few questions about it.

The fronts are "big red" Porsche calipers.  The mounting brackets are aluminum and were CNC machined by Rick Wong.  The 13 inch rotors and aluminum hats are full floating from Coleman Racing Products.

http://www.colemanracing.com

The outside diameter was turned down a fraction to fit the Porsche Caliper.

5ee744e9-67b5-41eb-ad83-f192cd97ccbb_zps

e40a3ef3-d444-44f1-8c82-ab05dd155dfd_zps

b68fcd80-993f-4772-b978-2c43d2d2ed70_zps

635554f0-8a57-466d-acef-1a154330db04_zps

The front hubs are custom CNC machined out of Aluminum by Rick Wong.

e90dae20-cff1-4453-892d-f98bd4dd2e24_zps

Driver seat is a Corbeau FX1 Pro mounted on universal slider.

IMG_12011_zpsdaee16fa.jpg[/url

12 circuit PAINLESS ( not entirely painless!) chassis  wiring harness arrived and is partly installed in the car.  

IMG_12061_zps52154a34.jpg

The engine harness was ordered from Yury at Wiring Specialties.  This harness is very nice and well put together.  It really makes things neat and tidy and I will not have to deal with old crappy wiring like I did on my last build using the original RB26 harness. 

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/

IMG_12081_zps0d9fed8b.jpg?t=1374374506

Edited by DREW RBZ

Some very very nice bits there.

With that wiring harness, does it make doing an RB swap easy, as in is it pretty much a plug and play harness for a RB26 Z?

Its pretty much as plug and play as you can get. The nice thing is you can customize the harness to your specs, depending on injector type, MAF vs MAP etc...

I would be interested in a set of those hubs, is the producing them or were they 1 offs?

These were made circa 2001! I dont think Rick is doing any more pieces other than for his new personal build. He is on here from time to time as skyline240z.

Hey your are back, good to see some progress. Still making custom parts on the side to help fund my project, let me know if you need something custom machining too.

keep posting. :icon12:

I would be interested in a set of those hubs, is the producing them or were they 1 offs?

Hi there, I  have one in stock, but the holes are not drill yet because people might want 4 or 5 lugs. If interested let me know.

Rick

post-406-0-65246500-1374728298_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-29393000-1374728317_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wiring is almost done. Ill get some pictures up shortly.    In the meantime I managed to track down my dyno sheets for this setup.  The dyno used is a Dynapack chassis dyno. 

http://www.dynapackusa.com/product.htm

The tuning was done by Robin Almasi of Almasi tuning/Synoptic tuning in Montreal Quebec in August 2010.  Two weeks later I crashed that car...  The drivetrain was saved and is now in this new chassis.

Graph #1: Manifold pressure / HP

3d9af777-3a18-416d-b901-bb5e14cfa367_zps

Graph #2: AFR / HP

3684efa1-00f1-4ec1-b458-3c10dcc0971f_zps

Graph #3:  Torque /HP

7feca8a1-0a14-4714-8fdb-69e5d0af76f7_zps

• 2 years later...