HybridZ

1972 240Z RB26DETT build

Moving along nicely now.

Driveline is in. Transmission is from a 300zxtt and mated to Rb25 bellhousing. Clutch is a nismo twin plate. In the photo you can see the driveshaft loop and custom transmission mount. Driveline angles are set. Dump pipes are Tomei and feed into two custom 3" stainless downpipes The downpipes are being mocked up in this photo.

DSC01700.jpg

Fuel cell installed.

DSC01699.jpg

TTT control arms and Wolf Creek CV's installed.

DSC01696.jpg

Front TTT adjustable control arms, TTT adjustable tension control arms

DSC01691.jpg

Front brakes: Floating 13" disks from Colemand Racing products with custom rotor hats and custom aluminum hubs by Rick Wong (aka: skyline240z). Brake calipers are Porsche "big reds" mounted with custom mounts by Rick Wong. Shortened strut tubes with custom 2.5" coilovers. 200lb front springs and Tokiko illumina shocks.

DSC01688.jpg

RB26DETT powerplant is in.

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01695.jpg

Edited by DREW RBZ

car looks awesome, but one note

you dont want the fuel cell supported the way you do, those tabs are not for mounting, they just make for a convenient place to bolt straps on straps, and help with mock up i suppose, you MUST have a set of straps supporting the cell, or a box of some sort, or those tabs will crack the welds (or the tank, or themselves) and your shiny fuel cell will be on the ground.

Most cell companies stopped adding those tabs because they are too commonly used to mount the cells.

I used 2" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock, heated with a propane torch and bent in a vice to make my straps, fairly easy to do and doesnt really detract from the look, and can be cleaned up and polished the same as the cell.

car looks awesome, but one note

you dont want the fuel cell supported the way you do, those tabs are not for mounting, they just make for a convenient place to bolt straps on straps, and help with mock up i suppose, you MUST have a set of straps supporting the cell, or a box of some sort, or those tabs will crack the welds (or the tank, or themselves) and your shiny fuel cell will be on the ground.

Most cell companies stopped adding those tabs because they are too commonly used to mount the cells.

I used 2" wide, 1/8" thick aluminum flat stock, heated with a propane torch and bent in a vice to make my straps, fairly easy to do and doesnt really detract from the look, and can be cleaned up and polished the same as the cell.

Thanks for the heads up..I have been fortunate in past builds that this has not occured. That is a very good suggestion and I will be addressing the issue as suggested! Fuel cell on the ground would be a bad thing... :icon9:

• 2 months later...

Its been a while but here are some updates. Building a house at the moment so that has been priority.

The stainless exhaust system was built and tig welded by Paul Barber. The system starts out of the turbos to Tomei 3 inch dump pipes. The dumps then go to 3 inch custom downpipes which merge into a 4 inch pipe down the tunnel. THe system was designed to tuck up tight to the underside of the car. The 4 inch pipe then merges into two 2.5 inch pipes to two dynomax ultraflow SS mufflers with "Pypes" stainless tips.

Fuel system is also now installed. Peterson pre-filter to Bosch 044 fuel pump. Braided stainless -6AN lines with billet separators.

rearofcar.jpg

4inchpipetosplit.jpg

3indownpipesto4inandbraidedfuellines.jpg

splitpipe.jpg

DSC02021.jpg

fuelcellfilterpump-1.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

Edited by DREW RBZ

Thanks! I ran -6 lines on my previous car and this motor setup hasn't changed. I was putting down just under 540rwhp and had no fueling issues. There are different opinions on the subject....my tuner (almasituning in Montreal,Quebec) was happy with the fuel line size for this power output. Your monster on the other hand ... :-)

I would think thats getting close for 6an. Maybe im wrong, wouldnt be the first. I currently have 8an supply, 8an return (adapted down to 6 via fitting so i can change it to full 8 if need be). I ran a new 10an when i put the rb30 in but im sure thats overkill.

• 2 weeks later...

Drew RBZ. Your build is OUTSTANDING ! Could you please tell me about your oil pan? It looks like a modified awd pan. I would appreciate some info on how it was done. Also do you know if Rick Wong has a website or email that i could contact him with? I would like to purchase some of his custom parts. Thank You and keep up the amazing work.

Thanks very much Romulus! The oil pan is indeed a modified AWD pan. The pan was designed and built by Rick Wong some years ago. The pan was modified to include a "trap door " baffle along with some other mods. I do not have a picture of the inside of the pan unfortunately. Rick is still on this board from time to time as Skyline240Z. I do not have his permission to give out his personal email so I have sent him a message to ask if he can give you a shout via PM. Hope that works! Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Great attention to detail but two things:
Fuel cell mounting is very dangerous and

Main hoop is terrible.

Other then that it woudl be an award winning Zed!

I would be afraid to drive the thing though, I wouldnt want all that shiny paint underneath getting scratched up!

Edited by 240zdan
  • Like 1

Great attention to detail but two things:

Fuel cell mounting is very dangerous and

Main hoop is terrible.

Other then that it woudl be an award winning Zed!

I would be afraid to drive the thing though, I wouldnt want all that shiny paint underneath getting scratched up!

Other then the cell not have a rock shield what is dangerous about it. Agreed on the hoop. To be legal and functional it needs to be like 12-18 inches behind the yoke.

Great build BTW

Hey guys. Thanks for the kudos and suggestions. I would be very interested in more comments on the cage especially the main hoop. I have a window of opportunity now to get things sorted out. I am very unfamiliar with the design/safety of this part of the build and left it up to my fabricator. Please keep in mind though that this is designed as Sunday driver car/show queen and will not see the track except for maybe a lapping day. All comments suggestions welcome! Im here to learn from the experienced guys on the forum.

I think that there is some confusion regarding the

Other then the cell not have a rock shield what is dangerous about it. Agreed on the hoop. To be legal and functional it needs to be like 12-18 inches behind the yoke.

Great build BTW

I have added a photo of the attachment points for the harnesses.  This will hopefully add some clarity to the main hoop discussion.  The harnesses are affixed to two points...one is to a 1/4 inch steel attachment pointl off the strut tower and the second is off the strut bar itself.  The strut bar is CNC machined from a billet piece of titanium approximately 1 inch thick and 2 inches wide.   The mounting points are at shoulder height and about 11 inches behind the seat.  Hope this helps to clarify things.  If there are still any concerns about safety I would be very interested in hearing what I can do to fix the issue

DSC02181.jpg

Do you have any more pics of your trans mount? I am wanting to redo mine as the mckinney one is prettly lame even though I added 2 more attachment points.

I dont have any more pictures other than those on the first page of the thread.  I dont mind crawling under the car to take a few snaps (closeups?) but I dont know how much more you will see.  What we did do is weld in a thick steel backing plate for the mount to attach to to make it nice and solid.