HybridZ

Who'd be interested if we made a L28ET trigger wheel?

Matt Cramer

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I think I get it, its MS that is the problem using stock trigger wheels. Ive been running COP and Sequential for many years now on the stock Z31 wheel. I was trying to figure out why you would want to make a low resolution wheel to replace the the high resolution stock wheel.

So MS cant read the stock Nissan trigger wheel? Seems it would be much easier to change the software than reinvent the wheel.

There was code to figure out the longer slot based on the high res slots, but the author and the MS people had disagreements and the author packed up his proverbial goodies and left.

The way MS would decode the high/low res portions, it would determine which was the cyl 1 slot, then 'remember' it, it would not decode the high res wheel on the fly. The low res portion is 6 slots, using some math(rpm, time, etc) it predicts the time the next cylinder should be coming to TDC. This can be thrown off with high rpm acceleration rates. If you increase the number of slots, you decrease the time between slots, decreasing the amount of acceleration that can take place between each slot, increasing the overall accuracy.

In short, short of the angle clock for MS3 being completed(or is it already done?), a 36-1 pattern is MORE accurate than a z31 wheel that is decoded by the code that's no longer available. MS1 and 2 do NOT have enough computing power to decode the high res wheel on the fly.

Now I think I get it, its MS that is the problem using stock trigger wheels. Ive been running COP and Sequential for many years now on the stock Z31 wheel. I was trying to figure out why you would want to make a low resolution wheel to replace the the high resolution stock wheel.

So MS cant read the stock Nissan trigger wheel? Seems it would be much easier to change the software than reinvent the wheel.

That capability is in the works for MS3, still need a bit of testing before it's ready for prime time (it won't need a full angle clock, though). I believe there's currently a running GM Optispark example (same pattern as the VH45) but no other modes are yet on a live engine. Basically, Nissan used dedicated hardware to count the high resolution slots. MS3 has enough power to brute force this and use it without a special tooth counter, MS2 and MS1 don't.