HybridZ

My new daily driver...

Mikelly

It needs some interior piecework replaced, but overall has all the right bits and pieces to make it a fun commutor car that might also see a little track time...The sunroof had issues so the previous owner removed all the hardware and installed the carbon delete panel. He also did away with a lot of the emissions stuff, the traction control system, airbags, and upgraded the coolant system to the euro spec setup with the self bleeding reserevoir and aluminum radiator. The car sits on Bilstein PSS9s with other Bimmerworld components on the suspension to do away with the known suspension issues. Came with the Kossi wheels and a set of M wheels that need to be repainted, and other parts he threw in! The car has the new Active Autoworks 3inch exhaust system on it, from the header back. It's also got their "Shark" chip... I'm pretty impressed with how quick it is and how well it handles!

1723bcd5.jpg

64f683ed.jpg

bb4d7079.jpg

859a635f.jpg

Mike

So now the tables are turned, so to speak.... You bought a white NA Miata, and later I bought a white NA Miata. But last year I bought a silver E36 M3 coupe, and now you bought a silver E36 M3 coupe!

The "Shark" software is not highly regarded. Stock M3 exhaust is reputed to be quite efficient, but heavy (especially the rear muffler assembly). It gets replaced for "throaty noise" or weight-loss reasons. The main known restriction is in the intake manifold runners.

Mine had a 3.7 LSD differential (vs. the stock 3.15?), a "coilover" kit from one of the German suppliers, and various other bits. Coilovers on a M3 are a debatable upgrade.

Typical E36 M3 issues, besides the cooling system, are suspension bushings and the VANOS seal failure.

These are good cars and an excellent value... but don't expect anywhere near the performance of your Porsche. With the usual array of bolt-on mods, expect a quarter-mile time of around 14.0.

Will you be doing the LS2 swap???

• Administrators

Nice find, Mike!

My '98 coupe is mostly stock, with exception of Vorshlag's AST & spring package. I find it takes a little more coaxing in the twisties than a well prepped street S30, but it's a terrific compromise between civility and capability, and the feel is still reasonably direct.

Michael, I bought the car as is, with the mods that were made to it. If the shark tune and exhaust do nothing for the car, oh well... It's pretty damned peppy to me, but maybe I don't qualify for knowing anything about fast cars. The parts seem to work well enough with the car and Im' happy with it for the price I paid. I couldn't find anything clean and unmodified in a coupe for less than $18-20K. When I started looking, I wanted something in a 3.2L with suspension and cooling updates, and nothing else... I ended up with this... Go figure...You should buy my SpecMiata, and come play on the racetrack! :P

And oh, Uh no interest in an LS1/3/6 swap for me. I have an LS1 motor in my shop, but I have no clue what I'll do with it. I may end up selling it...

Mike

So now the tables are turned, so to speak.... You bought a white NA Miata, and later I bought a white NA Miata. But last year I bought a silver E36 M3 coupe, and now you bought a silver E36 M3 coupe!

The "Shark" software is not highly regarded. Stock M3 exhaust is reputed to be quite efficient, but heavy (especially the rear muffler assembly). It gets replaced for "throaty noise" or weight-loss reasons. The main known restriction is in the intake manifold runners.

Mine had a 3.7 LSD differential (vs. the stock 3.15?), a "coilover" kit from one of the German suppliers, and various other bits. Coilovers on a M3 are a debatable upgrade.

Typical E36 M3 issues, besides the cooling system, are suspension bushings and the VANOS seal failure.

These are good cars and an excellent value... but don't expect anywhere near the performance of your Porsche. With the usual array of bolt-on mods, expect a quarter-mile time of around 14.0.

Will you be doing the LS2 swap???

Edited by Mikelly

Finally got the list togeher from the previous owners "updates" and knowing he pretty much did everything thru Bimmerworld, it was easy to figure it all out...

In the suspension departsment the previous owner added the following:

Bilstein PSS9 coilovers

Rogue control arm bushings

Powerflex motor mounts

Power Flex Trailing arm bushings

Power Flex rear control arm bushings

Front and rear shock tower plates

Exhaust mods:

AAW trackpipe and exhaust system

Intake mods:

90 degree boot kit

AFE CAI

Traction Control bipass kit

M50 intake

Software/tune:

Bimmerworld Shark tune

Cooling System:

Aluminum Radiator

Bimmer World Fan conversion kit

Bimmerworld Coolant hose kit

Aluminum Thermostat housing

New OEM waterpump and 180 Degree T-stat

Euro Coolant Reservoir Kit

Body:

Carbon delete moonroof

Fog Light Delete Panels

Hartge Rear Wing

Interior:

Vader Seats...

Wheels/tire:

Kosei K1 8.5 with Kumho XS tires

BMW OEM M3s

Front 12mm wheel spacers/wheel bolts.

I think it was a pretty good deal for a wellsorted car...Having a ball with it...

Mike

Because I know we have a bunch of idiots who may jump on that with both feet... I took these photos at my home, and do not condone driving while drinking... YES these pics were taken on my property and those who have been here can attest to the fact that this is my home. It's actually in the background of most of the pics. I live in the Wilderness National Battlefield, and have approximately 500 ft. of asphault drive, along with over 300 ft. of driveway to the shop. The intersection of the two drives is where the pics were taken.

Mike B)

I would love to have an m3 as a daily. May have to look into that. Beautiful car, many happy returns with this one I imagine. As far as the beverage situation, any other forum I may have wondered, but I feel that the general level of responsibility of the standing members of this forum is high enough that you needed no explanation. Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for you and this car Mike. Cheers!

Today I ran over to Harrisonburg and picked up the rest of the "stuff" the previous owner had for the car, including a full sized Contour spare, the Shark tune file uploader module, a new central locking module for the driver's door, the headliner, a new set of ground control front camber plates, and the old stock intake.

Also bought a new Sony DSX-S300BTX head unit for the car, with bluetooth, along with new floor mats, shifter bushings, and shifter... Also picking up some Performance Friction pads, floating rotors and some other goodies in the coming days...

Mike

Took it out to the "Helmets off to Heros" even with Drive-Lab for a vets only Driver's Clinic. The footage is of the instructor's group. Car is on All season radials and parts counter brake pads, along with the PSS9s set to full soft. I ran one session and then the brake pedal started getting soft... Since I drove the car to the event, I wasn't going to push it any further...

Fun as hell though... This car is a hoot!

Mike

Edited by Mikelly