HybridZ

Towing thru Florida?

mark

I've heard some stories about individuals towing thru florida being harrassed by the DMV. I'm about to take my car trailer down there and move my kid. Just wanting to know what to look out for before I start the trip.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks.

States sometimes step up enforcement FMCSA regulations which apply to all commercial vehicles, even your pickup truck with commercial plates. As long as you are engaged in a private transportation of personal property and not as part of a commercial enterprise, you should be fine. Make sure there are no sponsor stickers on the truck, trailer, or car. Print out the page below and highlight section 390.3.f.3. That will stop most cops from issuing the ticket.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=390.3&keyword=390.3

That little sign on the side of the truck doesn't work anymore. It used to let the cops know not to waste their time, but cops have figured out, via the DOT rules, that if there's anything that indicates a for profit effort, they can make some money off you. Sponser names (even your own company) on the truck, trailer, race car, or toolbox are evidence enough.