HybridZ

Might consider a swap

I was adding up all the cost to do the things I needed on my 1978 280Z to make it run like it should.

Currently, I'm running the original L28, but the FI has been removed and I've got triple Mikunis. I love the sound of the intake setup with what I have, but do need to do some work to get the carbs working right. It also has very weepy gaskets, so about every cover needs to come off so I can put some new gaskets in. Otherwise, it's pretty solid. It starts good, doesn't smoke or make any funny noises.

However, I located a complete & running turbo L28 from a 1983 ZX for $600. That got me thinking it might be a really fun upgrade rather than continuing to fiddle with the current one. Researching on here tells me this is a pretty basic swap and might make my 280 nice and lively and a bit of a sleeper.

I'm mostly just thinking out load, feel free to post anything I need to REALLY think over before I go this route.

JM

My logical side of my brain just smacked me and said "since someone pulled all of the FI equipment, I probably don't have anything left to hook the turbo motor to..." Electronically speaking of course. It'll bolt right in physically.

JM

Edited by the_journeyman

Cheap and dirty, just use the 280ZX ECU and harness with sensors and turbo injectors. Intake and exhaust will always be custom, but you can make factory parts work. Otherwise, standalone engine management will get you going and support any upgrades you choose to do.

• 2 months later...

It's pretty easy swap, Jim. I did that swap in my '71 and it was the best $700 I ever spent. I ran a completely stock setup out of a '83. My Z was quicker than most other cars on the road, and could walk a 350Z from a dead stop until I let off the pedal. If you are going to sell the carbs let me know what you have.