HybridZ

Outrageous Moving Violations As Always

getoffmyinternet

Not in the DMV Handbook  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know that if you rent a little u-haul box truck you automatically have to stop at all weighing stations or it's a misdemeanor?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. The vast majority of these tickets are nothing more than revenue generation. What other "crime" can you simply pay off? What if I go into Wal Mart and slap the snot out of the greeter, can I simply write a check and make it go away? If I stole a TV? Snort a couple lines of coke? Nope. There is the line of demarcation. If you can pay to make it go away, it's not truly a crime, just revenue.

In Kentucky it's illegal to drive barefoot. I know folks who get pulled over all the time for it. I know I have more than once...they use it as a "probable cause" excuse to search you and the car.

And just exactly how does a cop see bare feet inside a moving vehicle???

John, not tyring to go against the grain, but re-reading the rules it doesn't really say much of what can't be discussed in the non-tech section?

However, being a technical site, is the expectation of the non-technical section to be, "Isn't that a pretty Z..., or do you like my new Z wheels"; Z related only?

Hey how 'bout those non-technical aspects of z cars huh? They're pretty neat. They're very z car related, which is great, but not in a technical way, so it's cool.

"We got hammered"

"just lost my job..."

"It's 86F outside, and I'm smoking a brisket."

"Favourite chick song video clip"

Haters gonna hate.

They don't have to see you're barefoot. All they need to know is that you're on the road, and they feel like pulling you over. Just like the seatbelt laws now...used to you could NOT get a ticket for no belt unless you were being pulled over for something else. Now, it's a primary offense; you can get pulled over for it. The shoes-required law is a primary offense now too. It's all in the name of generating revenue for the cops that get hit while flicking their lights on while they drive through a red light, then shutting them off.

Yeah, I know. Not all cops are like that. But enough of them in my city are that it's by far simpler to live like they are all dickheads, because they aren't going to stop and help at a wreck, they're not going to stop a robbery or even take notes when you report a stolen item. Any complaint against them just makes you a new target for things like the barefoot-law. (I never had any issues with them till I started reporting the two cops who constantly ran the red light out by my house every day, multiple times a day. From that point on, I have been pulled over two or three times a month for nothing. Never been issued a ticket; just harassed.)

Ouch. I've never filed a complaint against a cop because I figured it would probably do no good. Just fall on deaf ears since they watch out for their own.

I think the first time I lost faith in them for protection one summer afternoon was when I was 12-13, my friend and I got beat up by some highschool kids and they stole my bike, so we called the cops but they never showed up. If we broke a window they would have swarmed in .2 seconds.

Traffic laws, like all laws, are written to further the interests of those who influence the writers of said laws. The connection with morality, decency, justice, and safety is purely incidental. That might explain our predicament with weighing stations, speed traps and the like.

Last year, on a long-distance road-trip, my daily-driver suffered a serious failure. Fortunately I had the gold-plated version of AAA membership, good for a 200 mile tow. Some 150 miles into the two, the tow truck driver was pulled over, for failing to stop at a weigh station. He didn't have a log book. He didn't have a fire-extinguisher or other safety gear. The fine was something approaching $1000... I was worried that the police would impound his truck, with my poor dilapidated vehicle strapped to the flat-bed.

As for the issue of this discussion not being appropriate to HybridZ, I would like to repeat a snippet from one of my posts last week:

"Unfortunately this forum is becoming a victim of its own success. Now it is more of a library, an archive or repository, than a discussion group. It used to be a bunch of guys yakking at each other trying to figure things out. Internet forums used to be the nerdy man’s alternative to the biker bar or the downtown club… it’s a place to relax, to trade gabs and jabs with one’s buddies, and maybe to pick up the occasional technical nugget of wisdom. Now it’s a kind of medieval monastery, the hallowed keeper of knowledge of antiquity, lovingly preserving fine learning while being surrounded by illiterate peasants and idle lords. "

"Unfortunately this forum is becoming a victim of its own success. Now it is more of a library, an archive or repository, than a discussion group. It used to be a bunch of guys yakking at each other trying to figure things out. Internet forums used to be the nerdy man’s alternative to the biker bar or the downtown club… it’s a place to relax, to trade gabs and jabs with one’s buddies, and maybe to pick up the occasional technical nugget of wisdom. Now it’s a kind of medieval monastery, the hallowed keeper of knowledge of antiquity, lovingly preserving fine learning while being surrounded by illiterate peasants and idle lords. "

I doubt they'll agree with you on that one. They're looking for a lot more than just maybe the occasional technical nugget. I get the idea that we want to keep the site more educational and have less garbage to weed through and broken english to decipher, but, as you seem to be hinting, like many principles this one is perhaps taken too far, because trading gabs and jabs doesn't really degrade the technical data stored here, it's still a great knowledge base besides. And like everybody always says, "use the search." Perhaps just don't search the Area 51 section for megasquirt guides ;) Anyway, that's a totally different topic, one that's probably been beaten into the ground already.

They only write the citation if you stop? Because I've never stopped to let them giver the citation...

Catch22-don't stop!

Ah quite the opposite. They only cite you if you don't stop. The cop even said that it's basically a formality and there's no good reason to have to go to the scales, but because I didn't stop I got a ticket. On the way back I stopped and the place was a ghost town so I just went on through. There wasn't even anybody waving me on or anything. The whole thing seemed super necessary. But I suppose if you don't stop to receive the citation either... Then you're in a whole other ball game, one that a u-haul probably can't handle.

Traffic laws, like all laws, are written to further the interests of those who influence the writers of said laws. The connection with morality, decency, justice, and safety is purely incidental. That might explain our predicament with weighing stations, speed traps and the like.

Last year, on a long-distance road-trip, my daily-driver suffered a serious failure. Fortunately I had the gold-plated version of AAA membership, good for a 200 mile tow. Some 150 miles into the two, the tow truck driver was pulled over, for failing to stop at a weigh station. He didn't have a log book. He didn't have a fire-extinguisher or other safety gear. The fine was something approaching $1000... I was worried that the police would impound his truck, with my poor dilapidated vehicle strapped to the flat-bed.

As for the issue of this discussion not being appropriate to HybridZ, I would like to repeat a snippet from one of my posts last week:

Reminds me of an incident I had about 10 years ago. Coming back to Vegas from SoCal, I topped a hill just in time to see a CHP on the side of the road shooting radar. I got a glimpse of him just before he got me and reeled down to about 85 (from triple digits). During the ensuing revenue generation, he told me that he probably wouldn't have gotten me if I had been in a pack of cars. OK, now I have a lot of track time experience and like to think I know when it is more safe and less safe to do 100mph. One of the "more safe" times would be when I'm on the road, by my self. In this instance, there wasn't a car for about .5 miles in front of me and probably a mile or more behind me. I couldn't believe that was his advice. I was speeding and was willing to risk the inevitable ticket, but to actually have a LEO tell me to be more dangerous? YHGTBSM. Unbelievable.

Also unbelievable, is only a couple miles down the road, just over the next hill were at least two cars with mechanical difficulty. He could have been doing that "to serve..." part, but that just doesn't generate revenue.

As for the last paragraph, well, I don't know if I could be that tactful. I find myself often taking long voluntary vacations from this site as I get frustrated with the heavy handed moderation. It's just the internet, guys. Lighten up.

Edited by clutchdust