HybridZ

2mm Head Gasket

I did a search about head gasket thickness, however, the info I found was old. Is there a reasonable priced 2mm 280 head gasket out there? If so were do you get it?

Is it a too high compression issue, or a timing chain/cam timing issue you are concerned about? Cam tower shims can be used to correct slack in timing chain, but you end up with a rocker geometry issue you will need to correct with thicker lash pads. Either way you need to spend some money. If your head has been milled excessively, or is badly warped, and you feel you will need to mill it excessively, get another one!

Engine apart for rebuild. Found three pistons just touching head. 30 hours of road race time on motor. Skirts are fine no evidence of excessive side clearance. Rod bearings are not pounded out from pistons touching head. Rev limiter set at 7500 rpm. Just need a tad more distance between block and head. Talked to machine shop today and he is having 2 built by a gasket company for $50 each. I can't wait to see how the gaskets turn out.

We went the cheaper route and used a copper gasket on our race engine (12.5:1 compression ratio) which failed within minutes of on the track usage. A Kameari while expensive has the necessary crimp ring that seems to be working out fine (we had a LCA crack after 30 laps).

• 2 weeks later...

We went the cheaper route and used a copper gasket on our race engine (12.5:1 compression ratio) which failed within minutes of on the track usage. A Kameari while expensive has the necessary crimp ring that seems to be working out fine (we had a LCA crack after 30 laps).

Got my head gaskets today. They are steel .040 will use copper coat and see what happens with 13.0:1

post-4154-041222100 1321483177_thumb.jpg

Isn't .040" = 1.01 MM? Thinner than the stock 1.25 mm gasket? Will you be stacking them?

I'm not up to speed on whether the 1.25 mm refers to compressed thickness or if the installed thickness is actually thinner, so could be off target.

Just curious.

• 2 months later...

For those interested this did work out. The steel 1 mm thick spacer was put on the block side with copper coat, then a felpro on the cylinder head side. Torqued the head then re-torqued after a heat cycle to seat the rings. This added the extra clearance we were looking for and did not blow out during the first DE trackday on the rebuild.

• 9 years later...

Reviving this thread for a specific application. My L24 head is currently down to 38.5cc’s, yielding a 10:1cr with a 1mm crushed felpro gasket. Machine shop advised the cam tower shim and lash pad correction is nearing its limits. Only options I see to safely up the CR from 10 to the production max spec of 12, is domed pistons or weld-in AL into the chambers. Given the complexity and labor of the later, Im looking at domed.

I need a quick sanity check. Race gas is a trip for me, and obviously expensive. Assuming I go domed pistons, I’d like to swap out gasket thicknesses so I can alternate between pump (10:1) and race gas (12:1). This way, I can get more time on the car tuning my suspension etc. without burning though expensive hard to find fuel. 

Already seems a bit impractical since my math says I need to go from a 1mm to a 3mm gasket (unless I target a lower CR on the domed pistons)

am I just way off base? Should I just get a spare L24/28 to for testing/tuning instead?