HybridZ

Is my engine locked up?

I had an ignition issue and upon replacing the bad coil my starter is not able to crank the engine. I thought it was a faulty starter so I order one from Malaysia, I got it put in today and it's still doing the same thing. I then thought my battery had taken a **** on me, sure enough it had. I got a new one and it's still doing it! Can somebody please shine some light on me?

It's an 1997 rb25det

First I'd put a breaker bar on the crank pulley and try to turn the motor. If it turns freely look into the electrical system. Make sure the ground connection is good and solid. If the motor is at all loose you might be able to turn it just by turning the fan. My money is on the electrical system. If you suspect the ground you can use a jumper cable from the block to the neg. post to create a good known ground. I've seen wires that looked good but were rotted inside so give things a good tug.

hope this helps

First I'd put a breaker bar on the crank pulley and try to turn the motor. If it turns freely look into the electrical system. Make sure the ground connection is good and solid. If the motor is at all loose you might be able to turn it just by turning the fan. My money is on the electrical system. If you suspect the ground you can use a jumper cable from the block to the neg. post to create a good known ground. I've seen wires that looked good but were rotted inside so give things a good tug.

hope this helps

OK, I'll try to turn the motor over by hand this afternoon and post back up with the results. I don't see it being the ground because the car ran just fine before hand.

OK, so what happens when the motor stops rotating? Are you able to rotate it again from the same spot or do you have to turn it backwards?

If you rotate it backwards does it stop in the same spot? This all started with an ignition problem so pull the cap and make sure the rotor is turning.

From there you have to inspect the valve train, make sure you didn't loose a valve spring or have a bent valve. My background is V-8's somebody who really knows these engines may be able to come up another idea

OK, so what happens when the motor stops rotating? Are you able to rotate it again from the same spot or do you have to turn it backwards?

If you rotate it backwards does it stop in the same spot? This all started with an ignition problem so pull the cap and make sure the rotor is turning.

From there you have to inspect the valve train, make sure you didn't loose a valve spring or have a bent valve. My background is V-8's somebody who really knows these engines may be able to come up another idea

Yes, exactly. If I turn it by hand, it will crank over exactly one time and stop in the same spot. This whole problem arose while the car was sitting waiting for me to replace the steering rack, then the coil pack went bad and now this issue.

Exactly the same spot? If the timing mark was at zero, it would turn over once and the timing mark would again be at zero? How do you get it past that "same spot"? You don't back it up and start over, do you? How does it "crank over" if you're turning it by hand?

You probably have a good description in your head, it's just not making it in to your thread.