HybridZ

T5 Swap in 1971 240Z center console

nsanow

I just got done installing a freshly rebuilt T5 with a B&W Short shifter into my 240Z. As is the common problem 1,3,5 gears hit the front of the center console.

I would like to keep the center console intact if I can. How have people modified this to make it work and still look good?

My car being a 9/71 couldn't use the original console. I had to use a later year console where the hole was further foward. If I remember correctly, I had to cut the hole in the tunnel further foward and it didn't line up with the original console. Even with all that the shifter is still located NOT centered in the console. I went with a offset style shifter to keep it away from the heater panel.

post-1083-013125300 1320677022_thumb.jpg

Edited by madkaw

I got an entire junkyard mustang shifter (lever and the 4 bolt bottom plate that bolts to the transmission) the bottom plate has a stub with two bolt holes verticaly. I cut the stub down to one bolt high. I then got a piece of 3/4 inch thick steel (dont remember the other dimensions)milled into it 3/8 and drilled a hole through the side to bolt it on to the stub and drilled a tapped the front side for two small allen head set screws. If you do not install the set screws the act of shifting will unscrew the single bolt. This 3/4 inch piece of steel is acting as a spacer to move the lever rearward and when cut down to one bolt high the stub and spacer fits under the console and no cutting of the transmission tunnel either. I then welded the shift lever on to the spacer. Hope this helps.

Chris