HybridZ

drivetrain vibration/rumble

PurePontiacKid

Hey, so as you may know, my car had a VLSD and CV axles. Well, one of the axles broke, so now I'm back to a regular welded R200 (same case, just different carrier) with the U-joint halfshafts. Now, my car has this super gnarly vibration/rumbling noise from the rear-end when I'm coasting out of gear (above 35mph). It doesn't make the noise when the car is in gear coasting, or accelerating, only coasting out of gear. I had a similar issue with my stock R180 diff and U-joint axles.

Could it be the U-joints are bad? Everything under the car is tight, no play in anything. I also disassembled the axles and re-greased them. Could I have put them back together wrong and now they're out of balance?

• 3 weeks later...

I did the grease and clean on my '80 280zx with ujoints. I timed the ujoints to be in line..and had a bad vibration. Reclocked the joints to be 90deg. dif. and the vibration was gone..so I would say YES to maybe having done something on the half-shafts.

This. I was just about to say to check whether the u-joints were in line or not

• 2 weeks later...