HybridZ

Moving to Oxford Mississippi

suparman

Is there any one on here who already lives in the area? I have been cruising through craigslist trying to find z's and such and cant really find any. It is not really worth 800 dollars to me to ship my car down there but if there are not any then? also I would love info on the local dirt tracks.

Somewhat off-topic, but perhaps a useful data point.... A fairly close friend of mine was a professor at the U of Mississippi. Originally he's from upstate NY. He reports that the environment was very insular and unaccommodating of "yankees" - even around the university. Even though he was awarded tenure at the university (he started on the ground floor, as an assistant professor), he eventually moved; the environment was just too toxic.

Datsuns and foreign cars in general may not receive a warm welcome.

The campus is beautiful. I wanted to go to college there, but like an idiot, chose to get back together with my (now x) wife. Should have done college. Haven't been there in over 15 years so no idea what and how much things have changed. Can't speak to the above post as I was born and bred Miss'ippi. I would be surprised if it was that toxic around the college, but then again "yankees" may interpret Southern Hospitality differently. I would expect more toxicity the farther away from the college. That, and to people who move there and want to change it so it's like the place they left. That will piss people off in a hurry.

Yes there is an interesting attitude toward Yankees I was stationed at FT Benning and traveled the smaller parts of the south. I am choosing to return to school there because I like the attitude It is a straight forwardness that many are not use to I grew up in Montana and until recently it was much the same way. Yes do as the Romans do, that is my biggest issue with where I grew up now. There have been to many people moving in and changing the way things are and having a total lack of respect for local customs traditions and attitudes.

Edited by suparman