HybridZ

How do i turbo my LD28

numet36

I have a 1982 Datsun by Nissan maxima with the LD28 and a 5-speed Manuel.

After about 3 months after buying the car I have come to the conclusion that

somewhere round 80hp just aint working and am looking to turbo it.

So far my research has turned up with mostly threads from NZ and the UK.

But here in the US I'm kinda lost on where to get parts and how to start.

What should I do?

Edited by numet36

I've seen a few websites stating they used L28ET turbo, but the trick (and the power) in a diesel is how large the pump is. Getting enough air in the engine is the easy part. You might try checking out the turbo diesel truck forums, as their engines will have more in common conceptually than most other L series engines. I don't know how easy it would be to upgrade or retrofit a new pump in the L28D.

I've never played too much with diesels, but how I would approach it is to determine the manufacturer of the pump and what other vehicles the pump was used on. From there hit local shops and forums with this info to learn what can be done with the existing pump.

L28D turbo

The Mercedes OM603 oil pan would prevent it's use in a Z car. The power is <120hp anyhow. These Mercedes do use a typical Garrett T3. I pulled a turbo yesterday for $49 after core and taxes (usually sells for $77 plus core and tax) at the local PNP. The easiest(?) would be to locate a european LD turbo exhaust manifold. Next would be to fab one out of schedule 40 pipe, yes, pipe. We've done it for custom diesels in old Land Rovers a few times with success. You'd need to get the flanges machined. The bigger problem I see is there's no oil squirters for cooling the backside of the pistons as is typical of a turbo diesel engine. I don't know how long the engine would survive due to higher temps acting on those pistons under boost. Lots of work/cash involved to gain 30-40 hp but it's definately doable.

Thanks for the help. Also an extra 30-40hp and i could beat a prius in a drag race. LOL not really all that funny though :unsure:, but if any one has an idea of where to start my search for LD28 turbo manifold or even the L28 from a 280zx turbo for to modifie. Also while I'm trying to find the turbo parts Im going to go ahead and put a new exhaust system and either a ram air or cold air intake. all in all my be 10-15hp? So 15+35+80=130ish>80

Edited by numet36

A diesel injection pump shop can adjust the fuel rate and dyno check the injection pump.You can advance the injection pump timing too.A good pump shop can rebuild the injectors -usually some power to be had + cleaner burning.If you add a turbo you will need more full to go with the air.The guys with the hopped up diesel trucks usually have an exhaust temp pyrometer to watch exhaust temps.I used to work on the old diesel VW Rabbits-did alot of pump and injector repairs after people would fill them up with gasoline .I stiil have the pump timing tools.Nissan is about the same-old school mechanical injection.

Get the drivetrain out of a Eurospec M3D or even a BMW 320D and fit it to the car. Chip alone upgrades will take you to 188hp at the rear wheels and over 330n-m torque.

Similarly, retrofit of the Nissan Frontier TD27 or newer Z-Series 3 litter four cylinder will net you 170+HP out the box, with killer torque and a transmission we already knows fits in the cars.

The LD28 is an old-tech mechanical diesel, and though Mythbusters did indeed prove you CAN polish a Turd, the technology has advanced so far in fuel control that using the original mill simply doesn't make any sense. The modern offerings from European Breakers make the prospect of a modern BMW Turbofiesel retrofit FAR more appealing. FAR more power, better mileage, better NVH, and current parts availability.

I have several LD28's, but it's getting iffy about using them as more andorr 320's hit the yards in Europe and the drivetrain prices keep dropping!

The A/R you want on the diesel is not the petrol 0.63, but rather 0.48. Good luck with that one. I'm not selling any of mine!

There are posts on this topic as well, one guy was doing checks on mileage and power with the pump aneroid connected and disconnected (boost compressed fueling)...

There's a sea of info out there on this, have you gone to the Nissan Diesel Forums yet?

Hertz TDI then, I commented that an engine transplant of one of those would be transparent to most Z Drivers the way they drive: peppy if you shift at 3k, and no problem buzzing along TH 5400 and 90mph in 3rd every so often...