HybridZ

My 560ZX ( Titan VK56DE powered 280ZX S130 ) Build Thread

Jared

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just picked up my vk56. Have some interesting ideas about what all I want to do with this engine set. I plan on taking it to a shop and boring it out and doing a stroker kit to lower the compression ratio then do a custom TT setup with dual intake manifolds. Of course this is all in a long time frame as I currently have my running rb20det in my s30 280z and have no intentions of removing that setup currently. I plant to take my time with this swap and do it right. I am currently trying to source a parts car that I can cut out the engine bay and mock the engine/trans mounts and exhaust and all the other little things that will be going into this swap. first up is to tear the engine down and begin to make a new lower oil pan. I will start my own thread though as to not clutter this one up. I will be PM'ing you about the AEM setup and the wiring that you did. Thanks and looking forward to more progress in your build.

• 3 weeks later...

Drove the car out of the garage today for the first time. Gave it a bath for the first time in two years. Now it's headed to work for exhaust, alignment, and ac refrigerant. More detailed pictures and hopefully a better movie are forthcoming.

loaded.jpg

That's great news dude! I have a question regarding the ignition triggering on the computer you used:

Does the AEM mind the input signal from the engine? Did you have to reverse what the signal is and document it somehow? If so, would you be willing to share that? I'm concerned about getting mine to speak nicely to the MS3. Many issues before that one, but still, while you're there I figured it can't hurt to ask. :)

Look forward to vids!

Dave

Edited by thehelix112

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice!! I loved my titan before it was stolen. If only that swap was legal in ca. Im seriously contemplating a vh45 swap though. Sold my engine so the wheels are turning in my head.

I was certified for smog out in Cali and I can tell you that technically as long as the motor is newer than the car you are putting it in it is a legal swap as long as all the emissions equipment it brought over. That last part is the key, you would have to bring the gas tank from an M and make it fit on the Z. You would also have to probably bring it to a referee and get it okayed by them. There are alot of old civics in Cali that have k20s in them legally. They just had to do alot of cutting to make the rsx tank fit in the back.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update, I know it's been a while. Car is basically done except for the speedo(which is installed but not working, needs fixed), and the hood, which I'm building currently. New pics coming ASAP!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was certified for smog out in Cali and I can tell you that technically as long as the motor is newer than the car you are putting it in it is a legal swap as long as all the emissions equipment it brought over. That last part is the key, you would have to bring the gas tank from an M and make it fit on the Z. You would also have to probably bring it to a referee and get it okayed by them. There are alot of old civics in Cali that have k20s in them legally. They just had to do alot of cutting to make the rsx tank fit in the back.

I was going to mention all this info as well but you beat me to it. The donor vehicle also has to be from the same weight class, so it can't be a F250 for example. I don't remember the exact weight class numbers but I remember it making it very tough to legally put a BBF in a S30.

As to the tank info, you're exactly correct, though I'd like to add a bit of info. The law doesn't specifically say you need to use the donor vehicle tank, it's just that there's sensors and such that are required therefor transferring the tank with such sensors makes sense. THOUGH, you can adapt those sensors to a different tank as long as you do everything needed to make sure the tank meets those emissions requirements. It's a bit of legwork to get all the documentation, but it'll make the ref happy and make for less fabrication work for yourself.

That's definitely something that makes the LS1 conversion even more inviting, is that people use LS1 gas tanks anyways since they fit so nicely.

And back on topic: Updates please! This is a very sweet swap and I'm looking forward to seeing more about it.

• 3 months later...

Here's an update. I know it's been a while, but life did get in the way of this build for a while.

Anyway, I had to redo the cooling system because the engine sits higher than the radiator in the car. Also, haven't had time to fix the speedo yet. I am back on the hood. Trying to make the air cleaners fit under a hood of some sort.

FD7839BD-A0E7-47C0-BB53-B116E35238EF-10080-0000048FEF16118D.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...