HybridZ

l28e rings on l28et pistons?

WreZ

So I'm doing a turbo conversion and finding that rings for the l28et are friggin expensive (140 at zstore and 100+ at other shops) but the NA rings are cheaper, i know theres a thread somewhere detailing the differences of all the different l-series pistons but i can't find it for some reason. So my question to you guys is, will it work? keep in mind my NA pistons are still in the car so please excuse me if the difference is obvious by just taking a look at both side to side. Also has anyone had any bad experiences with buying rings via ebay?

So I'm doing a turbo conversion and finding that rings for the l28et are friggin expensive (140 at zstore and 100+ at other shops) but the NA rings are cheaper, i know theres a thread somewhere detailing the differences of all the different l-series pistons but i can't find it for some reason. So my question to you guys is, will it work? keep in mind my NA pistons are still in the car so please excuse me if the difference is obvious by just taking a look at both side to side. Also has anyone had any bad experiences with buying rings via ebay?

Turbo rings are slightly different. Do a google search on rings. You would be amazed. My recomendation is to bite the bullet and get the correct rings. 140 is not the worst price I have seen.

My n/a pistons had turbo rings on them, it also had 70% leakdown.

Call a local machine shop that carries hastings rings, they should be able to hook you up for ~$60. Also, why are you changing the pistons, does the motor run good? If it does, leave it be.

Long story short my friend messed up my cam timing (while trying to replace valve seals, don't ask) and 3 of my pistons made contact with the valves. Chunks taken out of pistons and 3 valves snapped, luckily the bores are OK

That sucks, I'd look at getting a set of ITM pistons with rings.

*Heres where I look stupid again*

I actually bought a turbo block with dish pistons w/ rings, went to pop out the front freeze plug (black was going to get hot tanked) but couldn't get it, told one of my friends (different one that timing guy) I would buy him a 6 pack if he popped all the freeze plugs out and took my block to the machine shop, he tries to drill out the front plug and goes right through it...into the cylinder. Moral of this story, don't make friends they'll just muck up your valve timing and drill holes in your motor.

I do have turbo pistons with stock rings, I just know that the motor they came from was high mileage and I don't think you're supposed to use rings from a different motor during a rebuild if i remember correctly

• 2 weeks later...