HybridZ

RS232TO USB onboard conversion question

macambra

That seems like a really good mod, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Anybody add any input on issues it may cause? Otherwise I think I am going to order one and try it on my MSI PCB3.0

From my time in the computer industry, FTDI based usb serial adapters usually are the ones with the best compatibility. Lots of other cheap ones have all sorts of tx/rx issues, packet loss, incompatibility with some basic serial things, etc. So I'd say that it is safe to assume that it will work well.

From a hardware perspective it should work. It gets power from the PC, so no changes should be required. From a software perspective it should work if the driver for this product appears as a normal COM port to the operating system. Megatune should then be able to see it.

From a hardware perspective it should work. It gets power from the PC, so no changes should be required. From a software perspective it should work if the driver for this product appears as a normal COM port to the operating system. Megatune should then be able to see it.

So here's the final question.

what type should we use for the MS2? According to these guys, they have three different units available-RS232,3.3v, and 5v.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_DB9-USB-RS232.pdf

• 7 months later...

I know this is a bit of a old topic, but here is what I did.

I am successfully (Xubuntu 12.04 and WinXP in Virtual Box) using the TTL-RS232-5.0V cable for communication. I by passed the RS232 converter chip on the MS2 board. I hooked the RXx/Tx of the cable to the input pins on the RS232 IC

• 2 weeks later...