HybridZ

3.1L Redux-Part Duex

fhptom

I drove up to NC to get my motor back from Sam Neave at LNA Enterprises this weekend and was given what I hope to be the motor that moves me up the starting grid this coming year at my HSR races.

He took my old 3.1L stroker(F54 block & N42head) and did a major rebuild(E88head & Cal Cam 500lift-256dur) and presented me with a dyno tested motor that produced 297HP @ 6600 and 269TQ @ 5000. You can also see his custom stock oil pan that he back halfed to give me baffles around oil p/u and a little extra capacity. Nice option the the Nissan Comp pan or Arizona pan.

post-959-013442600 1323025276_thumb.jpg

post-959-097117100 1323025292_thumb.jpg

The colors are part of Sam's identity so you can just look under the hood and know it is one of his motors. I think I will have to tone down the pulley but will proudly wear the purple valve cover.

I started with a 4K budget that went to 7K which I guess is not bad for a race prepped motor.

What are the other specs on the motor? Rods, pistons, compression ratio, etc.

Also, which group do you run in with HSR, group 3i? In SVRA and VRG a 3.1L puts you in with some much faster company... I built my 2.8L so that I could compete with the 2.8L in a 240Z shell with the 280Z weight penalty.

I am using stock 240 rods with KA pistons and Sam built it to get 12.5:1 compression. Still running triple OER 45 mm carbs with chokes bored out to 39 and 150 main jets. They usually put me in 3X which is better than the Group 5 they wanted to put me in (all V8 vettes, mustangs,etc). They also think I only have a 2.8L which I guess is fibbing a little but I only get to maybe 2 races a year. It's not like I am going to touch the guys with the 50-100K Jaguars and Porsches in my group.

Unless you're winning a lot of races, it doesn't really matter.

I'm running 160 jets in my bored to 50mm Mikunis. My 1mm over 13:1 L28 makes about the same power thanks mainly to the BSR E31 head. It's got a very narrow power band though.

What was it making before the recent work?

Last chassis dyno'd at 185 rwhp with the carbs probably holding back alot of the power. That was right before The Mitty. Just looking forward to getting on the track even though it looks like both Sebring and Homestead are off the schedule for 2012. Bummer, Sebring is my favorite track I have been on so far.

• 6 months later...