HybridZ

Are there any Ford powerstroke experts here?

Mack

I've got a new engine swap lined up for my 280zx, no its not a powerstroke, but I do have a few questions about the injectors....

What would the flow capability be without the injector tip on them? I don't think it matters which one it is, 6.0, 6.4, 7.3...

also, would it be possible to operate them without the 3000psi oil pump part?

Basically, I am looking at turning an IDI mercedes engine into an EFI IDI. I want to use the PSD injectors as fast acting valves, plumb them to a common rail for fuel feed coming from a hydraulic pump putting out around 2000psi and then hook up the out on each valve to the corresponding cylinders injector and run it with MS3 sequential injection, using the highest resolution crank/cam angle sensor MS3 can handle and tune it using TPS and MAF-a/f ratio tables. I think it could be done and you could pull some MAJOR power out of those OM606s without having to spend $3000 on a Myna pump.

Wow, that's a really cool idea. I can't offer much to the conversation, as I have zero familiarity with Ford diesels, but I know my old '83 with 617.952 is a real slug.

FWIW, you may have issues using an injector designed for direct cylinder injection in the Benz IDI. Maybe just issues with startup; the pre-chambers have a ball inside designed to vaporize the fuel as it's injected, and a DI injector may not spray it properly.

Actually, my plan is to use the ford injectors as a valve, and still retain the pop injectors in the Mercedes head, if that makes any sense.

I have heard the older mercedes diesels are real slugs, but the OM606s have been tuned to over 600rwhp, and many of them on stock blocks too!

Edited by Mack

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of understand what you're trying to get out of this... You want an electronically controlled and timed fuel system for an older mechanical diesel. Ford heui injectors probably wont work to well for this as they are pretty much worthless without the high pressure oil system. The solenoid on those injectors actually control the flow of high pressure oil. I would look in to engines with pumps similar to the Cummins CAPS rotary pumps. They are electronically timed and governed injection pumps that utilize mechanical nozzles.

this is my plan, and use ms3 with a cam/crank position sensor with as high of resolution as possible. with the solenoids acting just like regular old fuel injectors. the problem is finding some injectors with enough flow, a fast enough response time and low enough operation current so that MS3 can control them without some sort of relay board.

post-197-051875500 1324582073_thumb.jpg