HybridZ

Shift Knob Thread

ComicArtist

Haha I like this thread. Post more! My car is also gutted, but I don't have a tranny anyways haha. Here's the one I'm gonna get, with the matching handbrake handle if I can get that to work. It's a sparco settanta, sells for about $65. Never seen or heard of anyone else using one. (If anyone has, let me know!)

post-22866-034082100 1326097390_thumb.jpg

I'm not even sure what it's made out of. I've read leather covered aluminum (least likely), machined aluminum (most likely), polyurethane, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey comicartist... let me know how that cut and rethread goes because i need to do it too haha

DSC07046.jpg

Best part is I can rest my arm on it and it takes nothing to shift. I can literally pull it back with a minimal amount of force and it will go from 3rd to 4th, etc.

What kind of light set up are you using on your dash? That looks really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my new knob...it adds massive torque!

DSC_4084.jpg

I found this thread while searching for "shift knob thread", but I really wanted to know the thread size of the stock shift lever. So, I followed this thread (short shifter idea), cut down my shift lever, and installed the new knob. Now I can proudly post here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally (after about 3 months) got that shift knob I posted... and it sucks! I put it in my mini (current DD that I'm trying to sell) and the set screws started to strip before I could even get the thing tight. The knob feels like absolute crap, it's way too big and awkward and lame. It looks cool though haha. So I searched around online a bunch to find something I'd like. Finally settled on a mugen (dildo style :oops: ) shift knob. Only problem is they sell for about $120, so I found a knockoff one on ebay for $25 with free shipping. Apparently the only difference is that the logo is screen printed instead of etched and will wear off (I don't like logos anyways). Anyways it's one of the smallest shift knobs out there and that's what I'm really after. I will be getting an msa short shifter and cutting it down and then welding a 10x1.5 threaded rod on top to mount the shifter. I will also be bending it to my liking. Should work out well!

Here's a pic of the knob: it's 3.5" long and 1 1/8" diameter (as you can see in the second pic). The one i'm getting is gunmetal. Lol I put a lot of thought into what shift knob I'm getting... literaly it's been my main focus for the last couple weeks since I realized the sparco one was so shitty. But I will probably find a use for the sparco shift knob so it's all good. Anyways I will be posting a picture when I get it installed. Let's see some more shift knobs!

post-22866-085525900 1332559661_thumb.jpg

post-22866-081105400 1332559725_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

IMG_20130423_135921_zps14aa4b4a.jpg

I know I'm bringing back an old thread, but I'm a sucker for shift knobs!

this is mine for now.  I have a black crown royal bag that's going on shortly to match a little better

Hope you don't drink and drive often.. That has field sobriety test written all all over it :)