HybridZ

So I just refinished my dash

PhilbertZ

2011-09-17_11-00-45_70.jpg

Hey guys,

So I'm running into an issue after refinishing/painting my dash.

In the process of taking it apart (after removal), the liners for the 3 gauges in the middle snapped each of their two mounting tabs that keep them in place.

Now I’m putting it back together and having the darnedest time lining up the liners with the dash and the 3-gauge pod module – since they are staggered and at an angle and all, it’s juggling a lot and I’m coming up short.

Any of you guys who have messed with an S130 dash have any ideas on how to better patch this up? I really want to finish this project – been at it for 3 months in my spare time and the garage needs the Z out! I briefly thought about just installing without, and then retrofitting some kind of liner from the outside of the dash, but I really have no idea how I would do that…maybe with small pieces of Velcro?

Not sure if this photobucket image will imbed on this site (wirks for other v bulletin forums), but these are the bezels (pre resotration!) in question - there are liners that go on the INSIDE of the dash, between the dash and the actual gauges - they block the lights from the other gauges from bleeding out of the dash I think....

2011-09-17_11-00-45_70.jpg

You can see the black looking liners between the dash and the gauge pod unit....

Thanks for any ideas!

Phil

post-3568-082576600 1323367934_thumb.jpg

post-3568-073000000 1323368022_thumb.jpg

post-3568-051185000 1323368035_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well the "liners" are the same color as the dash. I don't understand what your point is. Did the attaching tabs break off? Use a hot glue gun. You can build up support on the back. Then once positioned, run a bead on the outside next to the dash itself. It's not laike there is any stress there. However, before I worried with that, I'd fix all those cracks. Search and you will find where someone used insulation foam to fill the cracks and then sprayed over the dash. Final step was some SEM product that simulated grain or something.

Otherwise your 2 alternatives is a dash cap which will eventually warp from the heat or a carpet pad.

I just got done doing my dash. I can see how your tabs broke off cause they are a very tight squeeze, especially after loads of vinyl paint. If you look on the back of the 3 inserts, you will see A B and C. Lay them on a table and look at the angles of them. They are slightly different. Compare them to your gauge pod and match them up with the correct pod. I can't remember if A starts on the drivers side or passenger. Obviously B goes in the middle. When I put them in, I had to start with the side of the insert toward the drivers side of the dash, then I worked them around until they finally slid in. This should help you get them in without breaking them. As far as fixing them, I just bought some Loctite all plastic 2 part super glue and it is very strong. You could find some pieces of thin 90 degree angled plastic and glue them to the side of the gauge inserts and to the tabs. I hope this helps.