HybridZ

Nissan/Borg Warner T5 rebuild---need help

zigzag240

I'm rebuilding a Borg Warner T5 from a 1983 280ZX turbo. I have a full rebuild kit and have spent the last couple of weeks reading and memorizing everything there is about the process.

But I'm stuck at the step of removing the tapered bearing from the REAR of the output shaft. The Ford T5/Nissan/AMC shop manuals all state that you simply press off the 5th gear and slide the bearing off. But on mine the splines on the output shaft have a step that prevents it from being pressed off the rear. And since the 1st/reverse hub on the front is not supposed to be removed because its set precisely at the factory there's no way to change the brass blocking ring either.

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but this has stumped me. Has anyone here replaced their rear output shaft bearing. How did you do it?

mystery.jpg

Edited by zigzag240

Solved my T5 issue. Despite the shaft splines looking too large the gear pressed right off. Even with a strong light it didn't look possible, the gear splines look 1/4 the height...an odd optical illusion. Looks like the Nissan T5 is identical to the other NWC T5s after all.

Edited by zigzag240

• 1 month later...

I converted my T5 to a WCT5 to gain some stength and get a closer gear ratio set. A stock T5 will sustain a lot of abuse but that 3.50:1 1st gear frustrated me. My new setup uses the 2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 0.80 ratios. I actually swapped the bellhousing, shifter cover and tailhousing onto a WCT5 case. The swap requires the tailhousing to be machined for the larger WCT5 yoke sleeve, a modified driveshaft with the 1.5 OD yoke and a 240mm flywheel to accept a 9.5" 10 spline clutch rag.