HybridZ

Simple stuff?

Just about to top off my 427 tall deck with the adj. collar dist, only to find the ORIGINAL PUMP SHAFT has the tongue/driver looking up at me. tip to tip as it were. Gotta pull the pan n swap the original shaft for a standard. Didn't notice. Hope it works. This engine was dropped in my lap for $400. worth of an sbc 350 go over. Just after it was rebuilt on 8-22-95, it had been sitting since. It's going in a 79 elky with AIR. Simple enuff?? I'm using the ORIGINAL HEADS/they're LEFT N RIGHT. WTF?? Yeah, one head has the 3/8ths bolt pattern for the ac bracket. Of course my holes are pass side rear when I learned this!! Most of the other holes are 7/16ths. The bracket got bigger holes. The heads were oval port,the SPACERS DIDN'T HAVE THE NOTCHES for the top manifold bolt holes. Got to have the driver side front one for the ac. Local machine shop slotted and trimmed the ends for me. Only my second rat build, the last one was 20 years ago. Guess it was a standard deck. No hair pulling there. I got a 7.1 measure for the dist, from gasket face to c/line of cam. any comparisons? rodhead

This is a big block, correct? What cylinder head casting number? I am surprised that the two heads are not exactly identical, down to the drilled/tapped accessory holes. And accessory holes should all be 3/8-16. If not, then likely a bolt got stuck somewhere, was drilled out, and an oversized hole was drilled.

Any more details of your engine build? And welcome to HybridZ!