HybridZ

MS3 -- Update

mobythevan

I had some time over the break to work with the MS3 some more. I finished building it to work on the LS1 engine. I put together the JimStim v1.5 and JimStimx expander board so I could do some testing. I also got the bluetooth module from Phil Tobin (EFIanalytics) and was able to get the shadow logger working with my acer iconia tablet. I did run into some issues.

JimStim v1.5 notes:

Even though this stim board says it supports LS1 signals for cam and crank, it really doesn't. I found in the msextra forums that when the JimStim firmware was set up the crank signal was made as an evenly spaced 24 tooth signal. The LS1's real crank signal is an uneven waveform and the newer firmwares for both MS2_Extra and MS3 expect the real uneven pattern. Needless to say, I could not get an rpm or sync with the JimStim providing the LS1 signals for cam and crank. I ended up using a basic stamp project board I had laying around to produce my own cam and crank signals and modeled the real uneven pattern of the LS1. This worked and I was able to get sync and test my MS3.

Shadow Logger notes:

It took me a while to figure out that I had to go into settings and pair the bluetooth module with my tablet before running shadowlogger. Once I did this I was able to take datalogs. I also made an account on EFIanalytics website because when you log with shadow logger it creates a raw file that then gets uploaded to the server and turned into a file that will work with log viewer.

I think I am ready to install in the car now. I will need to redo my wiring harness. MS3 uses two DB37 connectors. One has the original signals like MS1/MS2. The other has the 8 seq fuel and 8 seq spark, tach output and the CAM trigger input.

If anyone is interested I could make a couple videos showing the MS3 stim setup working and the shadow logger stuff.

Shadow Logger is still very young so not very flexible for displays but rock solid connection and logging. I'm hoping Phil adds the capability to display custom gagues soon. I've got it running on my Samsung Galaxy and it was a snap to get up and running and it seems rock solid (Galaxy/Phil's BT module).

I have the Acer Iconia A500 tablet, which runs android OS. And yes, the shadow logger only logs raw data to a file. It does not display gauges or graphs right now. EDIT: it does show some realtime info, but not in a gauge format. I will shoot a video so you can see what it looks like.

Thats cool, I understand its still new and that mobisquirt is new also and I dont care how info is displayed (ie, by raw data number, gauge, graph, whatever)but I do care how fast it sends the data. I saw a vid on youtube of both mobisquirt and shadowlogger and shadowlogger looked to be faster. Mobisquirt on the other hand looked twitchy and slow. I have an Iphone and I was severely dissapointed when I saw the vid. Im interested in shadowlogger now because android based tablets are cheap and I think I can make something custom for it to mount in the car.

I am just starting down the MS path, with plans to install the MS3 on my VK56DE, which I expect to be a giant PITA. I wasn't aware of shadow logger, but the bluetooth connection is awesome as I was hoping I'd be able to interface it with my phone and use it as the dash/key.

On topic: +1 for vid please. :)

Thanks,

Dave

Here is my first video of shadow logger. Stick with it until the end and I get a closeup of how the display looks, the text is small. The first part of the video you can't read what is on the screen and you see that this is not laid out for the 10 inch tablet or readability yet. But I am sure Phil is working on changes. I am not known for being loud as you will learn from the video.

• 2 weeks later...