HybridZ

ecu and vvti question

ESP-OFF

Looking on ebay a lot of the jdm-gte with a 5 speed there using an automatic ecu. Does this pose a problem? Also if you get a 2jz-gte vvti with the drive by wire is it okay as long as you get an ecu for the vvti?

No it doesnt matter which ecu(auto or manual tranny as long as its a jdm ecu on jdm motor) you use. But you will need to jumper connections on the tranny wiring harness or you can tie into the starting solenoid wire as this is what gets locked out through the ECU when auto tranny is not in park or Neutral or thinks it is.I bought a jdm 2jzgte motor with a auto ecu and a w58 5 speed tranny. I started it on a engine stand this way. It works. Im not sure about vvti and or if its drive by wire. These motors are more expensive and im not sure if its worth the extra money. There are some minor wiring/ pin configuration between the usdm and jdm/ ecu and wiring harnesses.

Edited by ozzzzz

• 2 years later...

I'm considering on doing this swap in my 72 240Z, i'm just about to jump in, not sure if I'm going to pay a shop, or try and tackle it. before I buy the engine, I hope some of you guys that have done the swap can give some input. like should i try and find a non-vvti engine, what type of problems does the vvti engine pose, over the other. Also my car is manual transmission now, what would it take to convert to auto the manual trans cost as much as the engine. 

here are some pics of the car now

post-10984-0-99954500-1415777877_thumb.jpg

I myself picked up a Non VVT-I 2jzge from an sc300 and plan on boosting it a little later down the road. With this you can easily just use the sc300 ecu and such or from what I've heard/read swap out all of the electronics with a 7mgte harness for a "plug and play" application. Notice the air quotes  :hs:

For everything I've read, most people don't like the VVTI because its a little harder to tune. As long as you can find a good tuner near by its a much better motor. Get your torque at lower rpms, runs smoothing and much more fuel efficient.. Downfall is after market. If you want to stay south of 500hp not a problem got vvti, if you want a huge HP motor than got GTE. Either way great motors!!