HybridZ

Looking at a 2000 Camaro LS1???

Wiring. My roommate picked a camaro up and it looked like a monkey did the wiring in and around the engine bay. I know this is not a normal thing that happens but you never know. Also there was some weird heater hose crap near the passenger rear of the engine bay that kept leaking on my friends car.

Yep Clive it is. Yeah strange link doesn't work. Anyway, auto, 138k, passanger door won't open due to slight acccident. Asking price 2500 but he said he would take 1700 as it is all I have!

I figured I could sell just the motor for 1700 and be okay. Going today at 4pm to look at her.

Edited by JSM

Oh this is planned for the Z too. I'm going to keep the car all together though until I have all necessary parts to do the swap. Also going to keep her auto. Man I must be getting old!

Edited by JSM

So I passed on the car and here's why. Please understand I'm a little nutty and trust has to be earned with me if I'm going to purchase something.

#1 When going to purchase a car and you agree upon a time show up early by 30 mins to an hour. I got there 55 min early. When I pulled up he quickly closed the hood with tools in hand. I promptly introduced myself and asked if we could pop the hood which we did. If a seller has nothing to hide he won't be there working on it in my mind.

#2 As a seller I try and leave my car(s) cold so a buyer can see them start cold. Just something I do and I expect the same. Again I'm weird, but if a exhaust manifold is leaking sometimes it will seal itself once warmed up.

#3 Body Damage was pretty extensive. Could not tell how bad it was from pick Paint was shot and much more damage to leave parked in my driveway. Not a big deal but just one more issue.

#4 For suppossedly only having 138K the front seat was shot. I mean destroyed and both the brake bedal and gas pedal had tremendous wear. Could be nothing or reset odometer? Don't know.

#5 On start up Oil pressure was only 50 PSI per gauge. Once warm only 40 PSI??? Reving would push it up to 70 ish. Oil was filled very high on the dipstick.

#6 Rear main was leaking and dripping but tried to pass it off like it wasn't.

#7 Both Service Engine soon and Check Guages lights were on.

#8 Reved up fairly smooth with light misses but seemed okay. Great torque. When trying to power brake the car it would not break the tires? The car just bogged? Thought this was really strange.

After I left he texted me that it must be that he switched to mobile 1. He said it would be an easy fix for him to pull the tranny and swap the seal.

Yeah seems kinda fishy but IMHO if im going to get a motor from a donor car anyways (for that prise) id at least freshen it up with new sensors pull the pan check the bearings easy stuff like that seemed like a good deal but if your looking for something plug an play i woulda passed too.

• 2 months later...

Youre too anal. What's messed up is you tried to brake stand( beat on) a car you were test driving, and than bashed the car owner for being shady?

Power braking an engine is an acceptable test. It reveals stall speed/slipping in

an automatic trans, and brings to light ignition short commings,etc.

I don't think JSM is anal, I think you lack experience, and knowledge. <_<

Edited by jasper

Ha! Putting an engine under load while doing low speed testing and bitching about the tires not breaking free during a brake stand are 2 different things. You know how I test the torque converter or automatic transmissions in any one of the 600+ hp cars I work on everyday? Drive the damn thing. Full load/speed up the frontage road going from 2-3 then from P-R, will tell me all I need to know about a tranny. Not to mention misfires or stumbles in any of the other systems.

Youre too anal. What's messed up is you tried to brake stand( beat on) a car you were test driving, and than bashed the car owner for being shady?

What exactly are trying to accomplish by posting? This was 3 months ago?

You were not there, you have no idea on his manerisms, nor what he said on the phone vs what he was doing to the car when I got there and that was before I even drove it.

I am NOT experienced with GM cars, motors or transmissions. To state I was trying to "beat on it" is simply false. Ignorant, 100% agree. It was already VERY beat.

JSM,

After looking back I was a bit short. I wasnt there or talked to the owner of the car, I apologize. Had a flashback about an ass that bought a car of mine once. Clutch was going out(he knew about it) and he proceeded to try and drift it that night. After the clutch obviously took a crap, he jumped on the local forums bashing me like I ripped him off. My reply to your post was an act before thinking type of deal. Also, your thread was close to the top and I didn't look at the date. I honestly had no intention of raising a dead thread to talk ****.