HybridZ

BMW S54 swap

SeanD

Thought I'd start a thread.

So I'm going to install an S54 in my 240Z with its' 6 speed box and an engine management system to be defined.

I want straight-six, n/a power and Fi. The angle seems right, the engine is lighter than an L-gata which goes in the direction I want for the car as a whole (macrolon 'galss' and f/g panels).

Looking forward to it! :2thumbs:

If S54 mounts are similar enough to the S52, then you can use the members that have already done the S52 swap (e.g. RTz) as an example! Good luck.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does. There's a surprising amount of things that swap between the generations of BMWs. For example, as far as I know, the S54 pretty much bolts into an E30, as far as mounts go, and if not, it's pretty close.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does. There's a surprising amount of things that swap between the generations of BMWs. For example, as far as I know, the S54 pretty much bolts into an E30, as far as mounts go, and if not, it's pretty close.

I would tend to think the same, especially since the M Coupe and Roadster (E36/4) had both an S52 and S54 during their production run.

Thanks - I'll look at that - was going to custom make the mounts !

Kinda aiming for 350bhp with a better exhaust manifold and system and engine management.

The hard bit is chossing the rear diff ratio and LSD - I have an 4.11. I'll need something not to give too much track top speed but enough to use that short first gear in the 6 spd box.........

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - I'll look at that - was going to custom make the mounts !

Kinda aiming for 350bhp with a better exhaust manifold and system and engine management.

The hard bit is chossing the rear diff ratio and LSD - I have an 4.11. I'll need something not to give too much track top speed but enough to use that short first gear in the 6 spd box.........

You just have to start in 2nd gear !!eh ! eh !

• 1 month later...

SeanD.

The S54 uses the same dual oil pump and semi dry sump as the Euro S50B32 and this sump interferes with the front cross member and steering rack. You could make it fit but your driveline angles will all wrong. Ive used the sump and single oil pump from a S50B30 (earlier 3 litre euro M3) but you could also use a standard M50/S52 set up as well.

Picture shows how much deeper the S54 sump is at the front. Left to right are M50/S52 then S50B30 and then S50B32 (same as S54).

P1030607.jpg

P1030612.jpg

Check my build thread for more details. http://www.viczcar.c...c,6400.135.html

Hope that helps.