HybridZ

Speedometer Issues

I have a 72 240z with a jtr conversion backed with a world class t-5. The speedometer is almost reading 7mph above with the cable supplied. I also have a 3.54 r200 installed if that might be apart of the problem. Any input or solutions to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 240zBoy

Alright so should I be looking for a datsun speedometer gear or chevy or does it even matter. I am using the jtr speedometer cable and the gm speedo gear it came with so thats my problem. Just trying to get a lead in the right direction :)

Cable is made for GM, GM trans, so you should use a GM gear. Very good resources posted guys, thanks! Bookmarking this for reference!

When you say your speedo reads 7 mph off, I'm assuming that's at highway speeds (60-65 mph)?? Which means you can calculate the percentage error in your speedo readings.

You may want to consider a "Ratio Adapter" vs digging into the tranny and swapping speedo drive gears. Cheap, simple and extremely easy to install.

I just got the motor back in the car last week with my dad and just worked out all the bugs so we really would not want to take it apart. Can a new cog be put in while everything is all together or will I have to drop the tranny. I can drop it with the motor still in but it will set me way back for a little issue.

You do not need to drop the tranny. If memory serves, it should be on the driver rear of the trans. One bolt will remove a fork thing that looks like a air-die grinder wrench, the speedo cog will slide out, and pop a new one in, transferring the o ring and holder. Yes240zboy is right, you do need to drain the oil out first otherwise you will have a dino swimming pool.

I just got the motor back in the car last week with my dad and just worked out all the bugs so we really would not want to take it apart. Can a new cog be put in while everything is all together or will I have to drop the tranny. I can drop it with the motor still in but it will set me way back for a little issue.

• 6 months later...

You probably overpaid for the speedo cable. Check this thread, autozone has the proper speedo cable for about 6 to ten dollars depending on location...http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/107874-speedo-cable-for-th350-trans/page__pid__1013165#entry1013165

Edited by Cjc