HybridZ

Dash Repair

nolander001

I did mine using the process that has been discussed here and on ClassicZcar.com; using spray foam, SEM bumper repair products and SEM interior paint. Looked great when done, but started cracking shortly after I installed it...Still better than what I started with, but not perfect. I will admit, I may not have done it correctly and others may have better results, but one guy’s experience.post-2576-049215400 1326606692_thumb.jpg

My dash is cracked really bad, what would be the best way to repair it? or would it be cheaper to just buy a junkyard dash? also dumb question but im new to interior and bodywork :rolleyes: but could you use bondo to repair the dash?

Good luck finding a junkyard dash that isn't also cracked really bad...

Caps look pretty ugly in my opinion. It would be a hundred times better to get the whole thing covered by an upholstery shop, suede with a baseball stitch looks pretty rad.

People use foam with mixed results. I think it depends on how bad the foam underneath the cracks really is. You need to take out as much of the old stuff as you possibly can while still having enough of the original shape to work with. Cut all the way through where the center of the crack is, and then bevel it out like a madman, the new patch should feather out quite a ways to ensure that the load is distributed evenly and whatever caused it to crack in the first place won't just crack it again. Don't spend too much time trying to get it looking perfect the first time around because I bet that a few new cracks will form in different places once you patch the main ones and you'll have to patch those as well. Then hopefully it will all be settled in for another 10 years or so.

Or just buy a fiberglass dash. Or just take a sheet of aluminum and bend it at a 90 degree angle. It all depends on how much effort you're willing to put into keeping the car original.

I have seen all of the mentioned ideas above. They all look amazing if done properly. If you are wanting a quick fix then do not expect it to look factory or amazing. If you take your time then it will turn out amazing. If I had a stock dash I would consider the foam idea and just take my time and do it right the first time. I have since made a custom aluminum dash for my datsun. Whatever you choose just take your time and do what you want to do and don't be afraid to experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are keeping the stock dash I would suggest a dash restoration shop. That's what I'm having done to mine.

I have seen some repairs that last and others that don't. Filling the cracks with foam is ok but you have to realize the rest of the factory foam remaining on the dash is over 30 years old. Keep in mind that when you do a repair is like putting a patch on a used tire. It gets the job done but for how long?

A restoration shop will remove ALL of the foam and basically build you a new dash. The only thing the re-use is the metal frame. I know is not cheap but like they say do it right the first time and you don't have to re-do it later.

• 11 months later...

Dash companies charges upward of 1k$ a cap looks so so, the foam repair can be good but you need a good prep and as mentioned you take your time to do it right. For my part im trying to do a half alcantra cover half original dash. I am also wondring if a flexible paint like plastidip could work. IMO if you want a quick fix and a good looking dash get a 240sx dash and call it a day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...