HybridZ

Best way to clean RB intake parts?

TurboSE

I'd like to clean up the parts in the pic below and I was wondering what the best way would be? I have the capability to glass bead or sand blast at home, but I'm worried about getting excess media in places it won't come out of. Is hot tanking a good idea? Is there anything special I should consider before doing this?

2012-01-18_14-31-59_466.jpg

Can't hot tank aluminum parts or die cast. Caustic will eat it to nothing.

Walnut Shells will clean to a light burnish and not leave any abrasive residue.

Same with ground dry-ice pellets.

Awesome, not sure about the dry ice...but I'll look into the walnut shells...thanks!

I don't understand why you cant just sand blast the ITB setup. There aren't any cavities for the sand to get trapped in. Simply remove your IACV and blast away. Come back with a air compressor with a nozzle attachment and blast any stuck sand away.

That was my thought as well, but I think the walnut shells will give a better finish.

"Sand" will cut the metal.

Glass Beads will clean without displacement.

Both will leave abrasive residue, which will have to be washed/flushed away.

Walnut shells will clean off built up junk and preserve the factory die-casting character.

I would try to blast them with baking soda if you already have tools to blast.

Regarding glass bead, you have sharp ones and ball type ones. the sharp one will make your part clean, the other one with bring you a nice finish B)

Here's my intake manifold, before/after.

photo020.jpg

photo019.jpg

On your trottle body, I would not do this way if you cannot be 100% sure cleaning would be done fine.

Edited by Lazeum

Be careful with the throttle blades, you don't want to remove the rubberized material on the edges (seals when closed).

THIS...was my concern, I've seen other TB's with similar material. I'm thinking I may cut some cork to fit the ITB holes to protect the blades. Any opinions?

I would try to blast them with baking soda if you already have tools to blast.

Regarding glass bead, you have sharp ones and ball type ones. the sharp one will make your part clean, the other one with bring you a nice finish B)

Here's my intake manifold, before/after.

photo020.jpg

photo019.jpg

On your trottle body, I would not do this way if you cannot be 100% sure cleaning would be done fine.

Never blasted with soda, I assume it will work in a standard blast cabinet? Maybe I can deal with the crudded up ITBs. I figured my machine shop would have a way to clean aluminum since they can soak the head without damage.

Edited by TurboSE

They probably soak in simple green or other cleanser rather than using acid/alkaline washes.

That is what I would do. Most people who sand blast parts intend to either paint or powder coat the parts. If you are simply wanting to remove grease and other oils to return it to its factory state then just use a dilution of simple green and scrub them really well then come back and give them a nice hot bath to be sure to remove all of the simple green from the parts.

D'OH! totally forgot about soda blasting! Terrible when you consider I have the Harbor Freight Soda Blaster here at the house! I got the big one when it went on sale.

Stay away from the throttle bores, light solvent only. There is a thread on the throttle plate sealant when Derek was making his ITB setup.

It (soda) gives good results if you have a compressor.

D'OH! totally forgot about soda blasting! Terrible when you consider I have the Harbor Freight Soda Blaster here at the house! I got the big one when it went on sale.

Stay away from the throttle bores, light solvent only. There is a thread on the throttle plate sealant when Derek was making his ITB setup.

It (soda) gives good results if you have a compressor.

Could I use soda in a regular blast cabinet? Would be nice if I didn't have to buy another tool just to do this...

I have a full-on two person Trinco Blast Cabinet with Recovery Vacuum filled with 100# of Ballotini Glass Beads...

For me, it was easier to get the smaller soda blaster pressure pot than drop my beads!

Actually, the performance if the HF Soda Blaster was better since it was a pressure-pot style. My cabinet is suction based. I could blast at 40psi on the Soda where with the suction gun I needed closer to 85 for the same sort of results.

You could do it, if you have s pressure pot style blaster I'd say definitely. But I'd think long and hard about a siphon gun, the high pressures make really fine dust. Wear a damn good respirator if you do that!

I used the HF blaster in the open air, as cleanup is easy with the garden hose. I was spot blasting body panels and larger parts that I didn't want in my box screwing up my bead. I'd never used the soda before, and was happy with the results.

Edited by Tony D

I have a full-on two person Trinco Blast Cabinet with Recovery Vacuum filled with 100# of Ballotini Glass Beads...

For me, it was easier to get the smaller soda blaster pressure pot than drop my beads!

Actually, the performance if the HF Soda Blaster was better since it was a pressure-pot style. My cabinet is suction based. I could blast at 40psi on the Soda where with the suction gun I needed closer to 85 for the same sort of results.

You could do it, if you have s pressure pot style blaster I'd say definitely. But I'd think long and hard about a siphon gun, the high pressures make really fine dust. Wear a damn good respirator if you do that!

I used the HF blaster in the open air, as cleanup is easy with the garden hose. I was spot blasting body panels and larger parts that I didn't want in my box screwing up my bead. I'd never used the soda before, and was happy with the results.

I have the HF 40lb. siphon cabinet, so I'd probably be better off buying a portable blaster. I want to do my engine bay anyhow, so I'll get a few uses out of it. I know what kind of dust aluminum oxide puts off, I can imagine soda would be a lot worse.

This one has decent reviews...