HybridZ

Best way to clean RB intake parts?

TurboSE

I don't understand the benefit of those portable blasters :unsure:

Don't you need to have a compressor also behind? the gun looks very similar to the one I use to blast my part in a cabinet. So I do not see any benefit besides the tank to store the media.

Edited by Lazeum

I don't understand the benefit of those portable blasters :unsure:

Don't you need to have a compressor also behind? the gun looks very similar to the one I use to blast my part in a cabinet. So I do not see any benefit besides the tank to store the media.

After reconsideration, I see a lot of benefits. I could do it in my cabinet as well, but as we stated above, there would be a lot of fine dust. This way i can do what I need outside and wash it away with the hose.

I actually have a stand alOne pressure pot that I woo snake into the blast booth for difficult jobs.

The pressure pots are FAR mor efficient units, taking more off at lower pressure than you ever will with a suction gun.

The media is usually reusable several times out of a pressure pot, and dusting is considerably less.

I will NEVER strip my engine bay with a suction gun EVER again!

Pressure Pot, maybe.

Chemical Stripper with shrouded spot blaster, definitely!

Mine was professionally done, but I want to prep it for paint since the welds from the tubs are in primer (S13)

I got it, I've learned something today :)

On the other hand, looking at the harbor freight unit, it seems to be a suction type unit instead of pressure pot one.

Regarding dust when doing it in a cabinet, it seems that a cyclone is the way to go to vaccum the dust. It seems quite easy to do it yourself, of course it is not applicable when doing it on a full body out of a specific room..

Here's a good link found during my research to understand better the difference between both types of blasting processes.

Edited by Lazeum

This is the unit I got, it was something like 129$ on sale when I got it, which was CHEAPER than their 15# unit which was NOT on sale at the time!!!!

The Pressure Pot units work FAR better than the siphon type. And they sit with the blazting medium all secure without anything getting into it for a loooong time.

Mice got into the Trinco, and now I'm blasting with a mix of expensive Ballotini Glass Beads and goddamned rat turds...

The stripping power of the pressure pots is higher BY A FACTOR than siphon styles.

I've had an ALC Sandy-Jet since 1985 (which is what the HF units are a direct copy of) and I've run all sorts of crap through it, from Unstrained Beach Sand to Black Magic and walnut shell. They work, but for limited work smaller pressure pots do more work with less media than the suction style.

One of the advantages of the pressure pot is less dust. You get so much better efficiency from the pressure pot, you throw so much more media at such a lower pressure the media doesn't break up and dust like with a siphon gun. Generally they say if you are dusting excessively you are using too much pressure.

For efficient Suction Gun operation I'm running massive CFM at 90psig. For the same kind of work with a pressure pot I'm running between 40 and 60psig!!! The pressure pot acts like more receiver space, so your compressor (at least mine) seems to run less for the same amount of work being done.

For an electric bill, that is nice! :)

Understand this... For BIG jobs, I have TWO 450 gallon receivers behind my shed... I hook them together and then I hook up an old diesel compressor like this to the receivers:

c185.compressor.jpg

That doesn't have enough power to make 100psi, but it will return 90 psi all day long...

And I go to the rental yard and rent a BIG pressure pot. I can strip frames, clean concrete, just about anything. No electric bill at all!

I've got serious compressor available (as long as I keep it under 90 psig)

Hell, if you Google Map or Google Earth my address, you can see that Blue IR sitting out at the back of the property next to JeffP's 280ZX Drag Car! :D

Edited by Tony D