HybridZ

78zstyle's 78 280z

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the engine set in the new car, mostly everythings hooked up, gotta rewire megasquirt however (at least some of it).. Also missing a motor mount wing.. and the insulator for the transmission. Hoping my dad finds one in our parts car at the shop. Also I might have to go to the exhaust shop and have them bend my exhaust a little bit to fit the new hole and get new hangars, not sure. Still have to wire up the fuel pump..

The car also looks awesome with its new suspension, sits a good bit lower, very aggressive looking.. the new rims will look sick on it.

If anyone reading this happens to have either part, I will either buy it.. or trade for it.. etc. (Thats the motor mount "wing" or C shaped thing, and the rubber insulator that goes in the center of the tranny mount).

New air dam on.. Chasing down a miss in boost righht now, I think its my coil.

Edit: Turned out to be my dist.. this is a different dist than my last setup, I am now using a e12-80. I didn't realize that in a '82, there is 30 degrees of advancement from the vacuum advance. So when I was going into boost / full throttle it would go to 0 degrees BTDC.. Now I have it locked at 25 and it pulls great! I will be switching over to the 82-83 dist and utilizing spark control in the very near future.

post-12955-043000100 1339279666_thumb.jpg

Edited by 78zstyle

• 4 weeks later...

Little update. Replaced coil and everything works correctly now. I have my 24x12x3 intercooler and 3 inch piping on the way along with twin 12 inch fans and a hayden fan controller and manual boost controller. my plan is to run 10-12 psi. I will have it on by next weekend.

I also went to cars and coffee yesterday, car got a decent amount of praise. I hauled ass when pulling out and managed to squeel the tires through the first three gears.

Im going to start working on my s130 soon.. going to strip it and make it a autox/drift/ road race car.

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't updated in awhile.

Installed my huge intercooler and piping.. and managed to blow my headgasket running 15 psi! haha. It was awesome while it lasted.. I am buying a new metal headgasket tomorrow.

Little sister just bought an 83 280zx.. We now have 5 datsuns in the family. Im thinking about trying to start up a Z club in north texas if anyone is interested.

I am not overflowing with experience/wisdom, but I had good success tuning my L28ET using these: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/43865-tutorial-the-best-value-detonation-detectors-on-the-planet/

Sounds dorky, but it was very illuminating. I think the danger is this, your engine should not be blowing head gaskets (unless you are running L28E head gaskets on an L28ET engine? Did that, 3 head gaskets later... :unsure: ). If it is detonating, and you replace the head gasket with a metal one, you're just making it more likely it'll snap some piston ring lands. The dumb earmuffs really help in at least knowing what is going on.

Dave

Got the head off today, not completely blown but some scoring on it. The head bolts came off a little too easy..

Bought a l28 + 4 speed from bloz up today to put in the 280zx.. Got lots of work to do to it. Still needs a radiator and fuel tank/pump as well.. I'm also waiting to put in performance suspension to drop it as low as possible. Probably just going to do tokico struts/shocks. Also going to paint it black and put a big ole turbo whale tail on it.

post-12955-085604600 1344206405_thumb.jpg

Got the head off today, not completely blown but some scoring on it. The head bolts came off a little too easy..

So you did find signs of detonation or not? "Scoring" in the combustion chamber?

Just curious about cause of the problem.

So you did find signs of detonation or not? "Scoring" in the combustion chamber?

Just curious about cause of the problem.

No cylinder walls were perfect, the scoring was on the headgasket. No oil in water but I know I was burning water as it smoked like hell out the back (white smoke) and through the valve cover. Also like I said my headbolts were strangely loose. Not like really loose but didn't take me much to untorque them.

Just discovered and read through this thread. You run 25 degrees at what boost? Better yet, can you post your timing map?

What's your compression ratio?

If true, I need to up my timing. Then, WE SHALL GO TO RACE WARS.

Come to think of it, I popped a fail-pro sitting in traffic once in my 84 Z31t. Car was fine one minute, and then a constant plume of white smoke appeared behind me until I got home. That was like the 2nd time in a couple months. I switched to OEM gaskets after that.

The OE gaskets were good for head splitting. Ask me how I know.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Just discovered and read through this thread. You run 25 degrees at what boost? Better yet, can you post your timing map?

What's your compression ratio?

If true, I need to up my timing. Then, WE SHALL GO TO RACE WARS.

Come to think of it, I popped a fail-pro sitting in traffic once in my 84 Z31t. Car was fine one minute, and then a constant plume of white smoke appeared behind me until I got home. That was like the 2nd time in a couple months. I switched to OEM gaskets after that.

The OE gaskets were good for head splitting. Ask me how I know.

Im running a locked dist at the moment. Already purchased the necessary part to convert my turbo dist to something megasquirt can control. I was running 25 degrees at every boost level i tried.

Also my compression is 7.4, its goign to be 6.88 with my new MLS.

Edited by 78zstyle

I see. Any plans to go to Kennedale or a dyno? Sounds like it should be making some power...

I want to do both. I'm really curious to see what this is putting down as far as numbers, and if I can get make a sub 9 second 1/8 and a 13.xx 1/4 mile. My gasket should get here in a couple days and Ill put it on and probably tune a little bit and try to hit it up next weekend.

I made a 8.8 1/8 mile after only one or two mods. :unsure:

I kind of wanted to go yesterday but I decided filling out job applications would be time better spent.

Next weekend though, maybe. My last weekend here!

Edited by BLOZ UP