HybridZ

95 GT mustang 5.0L SBF swap into Z

ckelly78z

I currently have a sweet running 118,000 mile 5.0L V8 along with an AODE automatic transmission out in my barn from a GT Mustang parts car that I might save for a 240Z or 280Z swap (whichever I can find a nice cheap example of). I plan to use the Brian Laine mounting kit if it is still available, but i'm wondering what changes I need to make to the motor for fitment. Is there much difference between a 95 5.0L Ford V8 and a 87-93 5.0L V8 ?

I don't really intend on using the automatic trans for this swap and would much rather have a T-5 5 speed unit. I also plan on running a small (550-625cfm) 4 bbl on a weiand dual plane intake and some porting and polishing on the stock heads until I can afford a nice set of AFR aluminum heads and some 1.7-1 ratio roller rockers all from that CAR CRAFT article about the 405hp 302 with the stock internals.

Any thoughts, ideas ?

Might want to search some foxbody and SN95 forums to find the differences between your '95 engine and fox 85'-93' engine's.

Only difference engine wise that I know of is they have cast hyper pistons compared to the fox car's forged pistons.

If going to a T5 trans you will need to research and makes sure you know which trans will bolt to your engine as 85'-93' engines cannot use 94-95' transmissions due to the 94'-95' car's using a different input shaft from the trans so I am fairly sure that the 94'-95' car's cannot use the earlier 85'-93' transmissions.

Brian's subframe for the 302 engine is a really great piece, it's what I'm using to put an '86 5.0 HO ( not my first choice engine but was practically free with low miles ) engine into my '73 240Z.

I have an 86' motor with the AFR 165 heads with the upgraded springs. I notched the pistons while they were still in the block to allow valve proper clearance. Have 1.6 rockers and Anderson Ford Motorsport N41 camshaft. Weiand xcellerator intake. This combo is good for 323hp at the wheels =D

post-454-018518600 1328104868_thumb.jpg

If you go with a T5, the input shaft is about 3/4" longer on the 94-95 trans than the 85-93, so that makes bell housing deeper also. You can put a 85-93 tranny on a 94-95 5.0, as long as you have the matching bell housing with the tranny.

The upper intake and throttle body is about the biggest external difference between the 86-93 and the 94-95 engines.

You can use just about any transmission that you want, as long as you use the right bell housing.

I'm going with a 3.85 stroked, stock bore, 351W out to 387W, with a 4 speed Toploader from my 67 Mustang, along with a cable operated clutch. I've been playing around with it and I just about have it figured out how to make it work.

I've got tear everything apart again, so I can finish welding every thing up, and try not to make any more changes.

Only difference engine wise that I know of is they have cast hyper pistons compared to the fox car's forged pistons.

I believe 1992 was actually the last year for the forged pistons, important to know since the body changes started in 1994 and most people assume 1994 was the first year for cast pistons. A 1992 and 1993 engine are visually identical. You can tell a 1993 engine from a 1994 engine by the intake manifold, it was redesigned (more restrictive) due to the packaging problems with the SN-95 chassis. If you are looking for forged pistons, look for an 87-92 engine.

Thanks for all the info guys, Right now i'm still in the parts gathering stage and didn't want to waste my time on a transmission or other parts that wouldn't fit.

I currently have a pretty nice/original 1983 Porsche 944 that might be a candidate for this motor also, but I would have to use the somewhat weak Porsche rear transaxle that is connected to the motor by a torque tube. Fortunately, the later (86 and up) 944 turbo cars have a transaxle that will bolt right in and handle 350 HP with ease.

What LMoore56 says is critical, the input shaft is longer on the 94/95 T5 tranny and bellhousing. My 5.0 engine and tranny was from a 95, and this makes for a much tighter fit in the car. I had to trim the fins on the bellhousing down to get it to fit. The earlier T5 tranny/bellhousings are the better option to use.

I used Brian Laines kit and it works great for the 5.0 motor. Highly recommend it. His tach converter works great too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...