HybridZ

'75 280Z Track Pass

I'd say your HP is reasonably consistent with your trap speed (If anything HP ratings a little conservative) . The stock LS7's at sacramento raceway run 121 to 123 , several hundred pounds heavier than yours & 420+ rwhp. Just my 2 cents. My Z runs 130 / 3210 race weight / 473 rwhp/485rwtq. It has a very wide power curve, LQ4 w/small maggie blower. Most of the on line HP calculators I've used suggest a bit more power than 473 (I think not). I would guess it has to do with a stronger average HP.

Yeah a stroker engine has a broader torque curve and that's what allows me to run the higher hp cars. On the same night and location that I did a 127 above, mas28O did 131 traps with a stroker 440. I never thought that his motor was underpowered.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've gotten around that number twice...once on a dyno dynamics portable dyno at MSA's show in 2010 (http://motorsportauto.com/events/2010/images/galleries/dyno/Dyno-top-five.pdf its at the bottom)

the other was on a Dynapack...the one where you take the wheels off and got 426 in 2008 (http://forums.hybridz.org/uploads/timeslip/dyno-2363-1267318181.jpg)

I know for a fact that dyno dynamics in shoot out mode and dynapacks read about the same. Everyone on all the forums also say that the two read ~10% higher than a mustang dyno. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see this car make 470whp on a dynapack with no changes. I would have still expected more out of that motor but as I mentioned before I really think the exhaust is restricting the motor badly. I would really love to see what the car puts down on a dynapack and then with a different exhaust system haha.

^^It's the headers and intake tube. Same motor in an RX-7 with long tube headers (I believe 1+7/8" primaries) and a 4" straight intake did 550rwhp on a Dynapack and I was there the day it did that. Going from a 3.5" 90* bend to 4" straight was +25rwhp according to mas28O. :eek:

Trapping 140, damn! I have gone 9.70's at 140, you have a lot left in her, once you get the 60 ft. down your going to freak at just hot low you can go. I too am looking at an LS stroker set up for my 71 240. The old first gen motors just are not cutting it anymore.

Mike

Yeah Zfan, Thanks this zcar feels awesome. I'm waiting for warmer weather. No one was hooking off the line that night. There was an '09 426 supercharged Challenger out there with us that had done a 10.60 pass in warmer weather before. He only managed an 11.2 @ 133 that night.

When these ET Streets are bald, I'm gonna try some Hoosiers I hear good things about. My list has had a coil-over conversion for quite some time, but haven't reached that far yet. Ever since I saw this video and other pics of this Z, I've wanted to duplicate the suspension/wheel/tire setup

JustAFantaZ-- this should be the dyno of your motor when it was in my car. You need the LT headers and a 4" intake to let your motor breath. I ran my car at San Antonio and had problems getting traction also and by trap speed was much lower than sacramento or searspoint track. You are not going to hook until it warms up.

dyno.jpg

^^ There you go from the previous owner himself bammmm. Stroker 416 LS3 put down 550rwhp on a DynoJet at Newtech.

One of the local shops had a dyno day yesterday so I stopped by and got some #s. 502 max hp and 495 max tq on a DynoJet. I'm losing 48rwhp due to intake tube, shorty headers, -2 deg timing (23*), AC compressor drag, stock crank pulley.

Mustang dyno: 428/413 motor, 468/497 50-shot

280z_base50_dyno.jpg

Dynojet dyno: 502/495 motor

JMSDyno_Motor.jpg