HybridZ

Nissan CAI for triple Mikunis

madkaw

I really wanted a CAI for my Mikuni's, but the choices are slim or costly. I like improvising and was trying to come up with a CAI that I wouldn't have to fabricate from scratch. Looking at the valve cover I realized that the size was right for an airbox, and as far as cosmetics, I think it fits. Some might think its hokey, but I like it and it should work well enough. I still have a lot of clean up and polishing to do, but it has been one of those enjoyable projects.

I just need to get my 3" piping to finish my mock up. I should be able to come off with some 45 elbows to get the pipe out in front of the radiator. The most expensive part of this project was paying a welder. I don't have the means to weld aluminum, or this project would have been next to nothing as far as costs. Between paying the welder and piping I will have 250$+ in this. The TMW box is 400$ plus then you would also be buying your piping.

post-1083-041558600 1328316226_thumb.jpg

post-1083-029605500 1328316237_thumb.jpg

post-1083-058100400 1328316246_thumb.jpg

post-1083-061914600 1328316255_thumb.jpg

post-1083-048011000 1328316267_thumb.jpg

Edited by madkaw

I swear I saw a carbon fiber air box somewhere for the mikunis just cant remember where though.. that is a awesome setup though.

TMW induction-now Borla induction 400$ for the air box

Amazing! I wish you could rotate the valve cover so the emblem was on top-then at first glance, it would look like you had a V12! VERY cool.

Look at the cover closely, you will see that it is altered and notice the the Nissan lettering and their orientation.

This may sound strange...but if someone was to use that valve cover as a plug, make a fiberglass mold, and then replicate it in FRP it would be considerably cooler than the TWM FRP Box!

Lighter as well, allaying the strut issues mentioned earlier in the thread.

Though weight is a concern, the majority of the weight with a triples set up is the triples.

The CAI(valve cover) is gutted of all webbing and is shortened. So basically you have an aluminum box made from .120 cast.I'm thinking 4lbs with the backing plate.

Do you think a fiberglass mold would look as good as polished out aluminum?

I do believe the fiberglass type would be the best for weight, but can you pressurize fiberglass B)

Edited by madkaw

Alsa Chrome Paint? Absolutely!

And as for pressurization, better go read the Monzster Thread before you get any great ambitions about blowing into a plenum box without a diffuser to straighten the flow into the carbs. But yes, you can pressurize FRP or CF Plenums. Check out Kaneko's Orange 240Z!

Edited by Tony D

That comment was mostly in jest. I have been all over Monzters pages, and I know the deficiencies of this kind of set up.I have also acquired Corky Bells book. I think I will TRY to resist the temptation to pressurize Mikunis, but I'm a stubborn sometimes.

I think this set up will work NA and look cool too!

I was going to do a forced induction on 45 mm SK Racing carbs. My box is built out of 4x4 aluminum tube stock. Sold the car so they are sitting on the shelf now. Just realized I built the box over 4 years ago. I was also considering using it on CAI. I would also look at building a box for the air cleaner to get some positive pressure at speed.

Carb_Box_1.JPG

I remember seeing your set-up while searching. I hoping to see that you continued the project, but alas, another non-blow-thru turbo set-up. Any plans to finish up?

Sold the car, new owner put a V8 in it and it went through a tool box when it fell off of a jack. So no Z in my garage now.

Another reason not to use the cover is that it is too long and it would have to be modified. Look closely at my valve cover - it was shortened and it will still be tight running the plumbing. So I wouldn't want to cut up a 200$ cover and then have to cap it- or pay someone to cap the CF.

Then there was the issue of getting the lettering right side up!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...