HybridZ

Car won't rev past 3000rpm

98cobra+75280z

Hey guys,

I'm having one problem in my car. The car starts up and idles great, even revs quite nicely until you hit 3000 rpm. I am in the process of tuning the car since i just got it running, but here are some specs:

- 82 l28et

- stock turbo injectors

- walbro 255 lph pump

- fmic

- n42 intake

- MS1 v2.2

- AEM wideband

So back to the problem i am having. I start the car and allow it to warm up, to start tuning with VE analyze live. When i blip the throttle and rev it it hits 3000rpm and then starts cutting spark (I am assuming) since it sounds just like a hard cut rev limiter. Nothing i do seems to change this, I have launch control turned off, soft cut limiter at 5000, and hard cut at 5200 rpm. There isnt anything I can think of that would cause the motor to refuse to rev.

Any help is greatly appriciated!

Kevin

Have you tried comparing tunes from the Map sharing threads?. Try looking for one that is similar to your setup and see if they are close.

Is your wideband showing a good ratio when the engine is cutting out?.

I am using all the settings and maps found in the FAQ sticky concerning megasuirt installation. I believe it was written by Moby. The maps seem to be fine, as are my settings. They are the same as all the settings in the installation guide. And the engine cuts out just like a rev limiter, it oscillates back and forth just like the spark is being cut out. The AFR's are steady up to the event but then go sparatic, which makes sense with the radpid change of AFR when the spark is cut for the rev limiter. The problem is i don't have the limiter set that low and i cant figure out any settings that would behave this way. I am thinking about trying to just reflash the computer and start from scratch.

I would check your timing, first. Make sure your idle advance matches what your Megatune is telling you it sees.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, keep an eye on that. It doesn't sound like you're going lean, but just to be safe, monitor the gauge value at that point.

If all of those check out ok, check your spark map (if applicable).

Good luck.

I would check your timing, first. Make sure your idle advance matches what your Megatune is telling you it sees.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, keep an eye on that. It doesn't sound like you're going lean, but just to be safe, monitor the gauge value at that point.

If all of those check out ok, check your spark map (if applicable).

Good luck.

I checked timing values and what tunerstudio says my timing is, is what i see with the timing light. At idle it is around 19* BTDC. The only problem i had with timing was trying to follow the install guide. I set it to around 50* and then set that value in tunerstudio. I then adjusted until the timing light matched what tunerstudio said. The problem i have though is my settings ended up being as follow:

trigger angle (degree)----------------- 38

trigger advance ------------------------- +45

I know in the install sticky his settings are like 80* +45

I'm not sure why mine are so much different but it was the only way to get the timing at idle to match up.

post-5822-011872900 1328570601_thumb.png

post-5822-042332300 1328570671_thumb.png

I'm not sure why you have the trigger angle set to 38 and +45. Try setting it to 83 and no addition. I'm not sure that changes anything in megasquirt, but the NOTE right below those settings says to only use addition if you are above 90(thats the way I read it). Personally, I would just set the trigger angle to 70 with no addition and then put the timing light on and manually turn the dizzy until the timing was correct. 83 should work though.

I know in the install sticky his settings are like 80* +45

what install sticky has this?

Moby, Thanks for the reply i will try that out this weekend when i can work on the car some more. As for the settings i used were from this page:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/47394-msns-extra024s9-settings-in-jpeg-format/

What exactly does the additon angle do? I'm not sure i completly understand the theory behind this parameter.

I see, those settings come from metro. In my original write-up I have a trigger angle of 78 on my car.

I believe once you get your trigger angle over 90 degrees the software needs to know to skip a cylinder, like next cylinder mode or something. I really don't know what it means either. But you should be able to get your car set up in the 70-80 trigger angle range and don't use the addition. Good Luck.

I see, those settings come from metro. In my original write-up I have a trigger angle of 78 on my car.

I believe once you get your trigger angle over 90 degrees the software needs to know to skip a cylinder, like next cylinder mode or something. I really don't know what it means either. But you should be able to get your car set up in the 70-80 trigger angle range and don't use the addition. Good Luck.

If that is the case (the computer thinking i need it to skip a cylinder) my spark settings could lead to my problem. I will try it this weekend and let you know what happens. Thanks for the input.!