HybridZ

Project RB-Z then VQ35

Looks great, but why such skinny tires on those wide wheels?   You should have 225's or even 235's.   if you had a 235/50/R15  it'd be sweet.  it's the second # that's the height of the profile.   It'd be a shame to bust up those wheels if you lost a bead.

Difficult to find here I was looking for 225/50/15 but couldnt find anything i dont think there are any 235 with 50 wall height.

anyways these are some Thailand cheap tires will use to break in the engine, then might order 225/45/15 hankook ventus

Amazing work, love everything you got going on here :icon47:

Thanks bud

I got the atara wheels too, but the staggered set with 15x9 and 15x10.5. Yours is the first Z I've seen sitting on them,. I dont have a Z yet, just planing things. I hope the 15x9s fit those standard flares better up front.  Rear should look good with a drop.

My rear is without any spacers now and its 10.5 it comes out nicely with fender flares front not sure if you would need a spacer or not I guess all depends on how low you are as their 9"width is -13 same as Watanabe which looks good as well

But I dont get it you bought the wheels without having a car?

I see. I keep forgetting how limited parts can be in Dubai. You've probably got the only S30 in the city.  Does Tirerack.com ship to Dubai?  You're doing a great job with the car. I went back and read your whole build thread. How do you like all the Dynamat/pad in there? Does it really quiet it much?   I also noted the vent holes in the C pillar are blocked over, that's kind of odd, but I guess you won't be driving with the windows down very often out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I see. I keep forgetting how limited parts can be in Dubai. You've probably got the only S30 in the city.  Does Tirerack.com ship to Dubai?  You're doing a great job with the car. I went back and read your whole build thread. How do you like all the Dynamat/pad in there? Does it really quiet it much?   I also noted the vent holes in the C pillar are blocked over, that's kind of odd, but I guess you won't be driving with the windows down very often out there.

Tirerack down man but some tires not all and then shipping kills it.Dynamat is good didnt drive it earlier so cant compare but car is a bit quiet

Was away for a small vacation dropped the car earlier around two weeks back for wiring job as lots of body wires were there from old engine and stock ones wanted to clean up everything. for your query will check today. Also sent the dashboard to get it wrapped in leather and alcantara along with the side boards as cracks were appearing again because of the heat here.

Transmission mount is blocking the down pipe might need to be altered again once car is done, this gearbox is really big for the tunnel
2ikj.jpg

Dowpipe flange custom made because of space
9pmk.jpg

Few pics of mounts and tie rod ends custom done to move the steering rack
5dxt.jpg
kbvw.jpg
r31q.jpg
2j14.jpg
52v4.jpg

Removed the dashboard and its a wiring chaos back there

d35u.jpg
at7j.jpg
wv5z.jpg
6nm3.jpg
w3i.JPG
pzwy.jpg

But now after hooking up everything car is not starting :( seems like NATS issue, havent gone to the shop and check it not sure what to do for NATS as I thought VQ30DET comes without NATS earlier ones and have no idea how to resolve it without going for stand alone as thats the last thing I want to do, maybe will check with UPREV people as on VQ35DE/37 you can remove NATS with uprev. 

All I have is the harness and ecu and I doubt I can find a gloria or CIMA here to get other parts required? Any suggestions

• 1 month later...

Lots have happened engine didnt start first then plugged up a standalone ecu even then had issues came to find out block was faulty changed it and now all set to go, engine ran on basemap need a tune planning for this weekend, engine details I kept in the thread in V6 section.

h71h.jpg
j8iy.jpg
z4oz.jpg
2jp3.jpg
0jtd.jpg
em0r.jpg
tswp.jpg
3sig.jpg
3zy6.jpg
ep26.jpg
puar.jpg
24hz.jpg

Looking good, nice work, engine isn't quite as pretty as an RB though, not that that is the most important thing when picking an engine.

Those are getting replaced today with R888 225/45/15, couldnt get anything wider 

Glad to hear this.

• 1 month later...
Finally after doing all the work engine ran nicely on the basemap, Its all good till 3k rpm on this map, but im glad its running fine and holding boost as well.

Next there are some issues coming in the starter switch sometimes it starts and sometime there is no response more like loose contact. Will fix that along with AC compressor then a final tune, should be on the road sometime next month.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Doc,

Build looks like you're pretty much done, it's been a few months and I've got to say you've made a lot of progress, it's awesome to hear it running.  You may consider heat tape or even shielding around that turbo with the proximity to the rail and the lines and likely around that downpipe too since it's so close to the firewall.  That'll help prevent issues, if things got too hot.   I'm sure by now you've probably got a good tune in, so let us know how it's going.   

What did you end up doing about the behind the dash wiring, and did you keep much of the original wiring, or did you replace the whole harness?

Phar

• 1 month later...

Ok guys car was left stranded for sometime now because of working on another project which just finished

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23340

Anyways as posted back in April did fit some Suzuki compressor brought the car back to the shop where I did pathfinder steering thing and we used the stock power steering pump with some machine work it manage to work nicely along with another additional bracket to hold the compressor, now single belt covering all.

IMG_9812-2_zps5db53ef1.jpg

IMG_9813-2_zps54168ef5.jpg

IMG_9814-2_zps89b1b5b9.jpg

IMG_9815-2_zpsa65c6c63.jpg

Coming to the steering rack used the stock (had to source another one) and with some combination of different u joints managed it nicely without touching anything. There is a rod holding bracket as well welded to the cross member, so far looks good without and with load

IMG_9816-2_zps6d11be13.jpg

IMG_9819-2_zps01c027aa.jpg

IMG_9820-2_zps5ee4654b.jpg

Now another problem area, these all fits with turbo manifold removed, now still thinking of either using normal headers and remove the turbo or do some alteration in manifold and move turbo above the cross member, as block is NA and head from a turbo engine ported and polished there is a good chance it will run fine as NA, deciding in few coming days.

Hey Doc,

Build looks like you're pretty much done, it's been a few months and I've got to say you've made a lot of progress, it's awesome to hear it running.  You may consider heat tape or even shielding around that turbo with the proximity to the rail and the lines and likely around that downpipe too since it's so close to the firewall.  That'll help prevent issues, if things got too hot.   I'm sure by now you've probably got a good tune in, so let us know how it's going.   

What did you end up doing about the behind the dash wiring, and did you keep much of the original wiring, or did you replace the whole harness?

Phar

Sorry man couldn't do much in the car because of other things going on, still not through need to see few things now to finalize which direction to goto NA or Boosted.

For wiring I removed almost all of the stock wiring and did some custom clean up along with ECU wiring

Edited by docaam

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Been a while posting back to show the update, took a while to finish the car back when opened it during its glory

Made the VQ35 run, installed our Moonbeam Gnose version kit similar to what was installed on Chris Forsberg car last year SEMA and redid the interior, went a bit long way apart from normal interior pieces which carbonsignal made we made other rear ones and roof panel as well, from the molds all done in carbon fiber. Installed a custom roll bar, door panels, and dashboard done in FRP wrapped in leather and Alcantara and redid old Bride seats in similar material. Installed new CS design gauges will post pics later from closeup.

Wheels were done new worked with SevenK do design something similar to Equip and SSR mix of both in 16x10' and16x11"

post-13922-0-76427300-1492576962_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-56550200-1492576979_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-38712600-1492576993_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-03555200-1492577008_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-40459900-1492577148_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-09586300-1492577185_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-34073700-1492577227_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-83156500-1492577242_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-63599100-1492577257_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-05201400-1492577271_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-88624100-1492577493_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-18187700-1492577514_thumb.jpg