HybridZ

trust/greddy twin turbo setup

I've been home sick the past couple of days and I've had alot of time to think about some things.

Let me start off by saying I do not own a twin turbo manifold or a rhd car that can accept one of these high dollar pieces. I really just want to know if someone on here has had any type of experience with this setup like how much power did it make and what kind of chargers did it use. I searched here but all I found were f/s ads saying it wont work with a rhd car and its always just the manifold.

I'm running a HKS twin turbo set up on a RHD car. The turbos are 2 x HT18 38B units, old Hitachi units.

The car was dynoed at 290hp and 325 lbs/ft of torque, power comes on smoothly and car is a joy to drive. The plumbing wasn't that difficult to set up and with a RHD car you have no issue with the steering linkage in the way.

I'm running a HKS twin turbo set up on a RHD car. The turbos are 2 x HT18 38B units, old Hitachi units.

The car was dynoed at 290hp and 325 lbs/ft of torque, power comes on smoothly and car is a joy to drive. The plumbing wasn't that difficult to set up and with a RHD car you have no issue with the steering linkage in the way.

Seen some pics of this setup of 240z's pretty nice in deed. Maybe he should post some pics for all us single turbo users. :rolleyes:

Do you think that you could make more power out of the kit with the supplied equipment that what it is already putting down. I would assume the kit only has the boost levels at 8-11psi non intercooled would be my guess.

I think that unlikely. Not having seen it, I imagine it's running 14-15 psi intercooled, very similar to what a single turbo will do. Assuming it's an L28 that is.

Edited by SleeperZ

While twins have a cool factor, every twin setup I've seen on an L28 is for just the cool factor only. You can achieve the exact same results with a moderately sized single.

And you don't have to mess with running twin hotpipes, twin downpipes, twin oil/feed lines, twin coolant lines, and clearance.

Now, if I had a RHD and a twin setup just laying around, I'd probably do it.

Twins are not for the faint hearted- it did take some fab work and yes you do need to account for extra pipework, oil lines, filters etc but it wasnt too difficult.

For me it was a learning experience, what can a HKS turbo kit from Japan in the mid 80s achieve, I havent turned up the boost yet but I'm very impressed with how the power is delivered and how she drives. I've also got a set of HKS ITBs, with a HKS surge tank that will go on next to compliment the HKS theme.

I'm writting from an iPad at the moment so not easy to attach pics, I'll add some when the ITBs go on.

Edited by 24OZ

Most Japanese systems were fully engineered, the non-intercooled single kits were mainly for low-boost add-on to stock EFI systems.

Twins generally were intercooled. I don't know of a single Twin-Turbo kit in the 80's in Japan that didn't have an intercooler on it.

They weren't putting twins on 3.2L L-Engines to run .8 bar boost... ;)