HybridZ

320 hp A12

mutantZ

I don't think so.

An A12 would not flow enough air to produce that power regardless of the size of turbo. The only remote possibility would be if they went on a radical reduction of circulating mass, reduced the stroke, increased the bore to the maximum, put the biggest possible valves etc, put the largest possible turbo and sacrificed every ounce of Torque in the persuit of pure horsepower figures. You'd end up with a glorified motorcyle engine which would be great so long as you were reving it at 10,000 RPM just to get the car moving.

There is also the possibility it was the AY crossflow variant.

More likely they played with the dyno settings to get it to spit out an over the top HP figure.

"Will not flow enough air"?

Flow will ALWAYS increase in a logarithmic fashion in relation to air pressure. If an engine produces 100hp at true atmospheric then it should produce 200hp at 1 bar of boost, permitting that the intake temps are exactly the same temperature, which they rarely are. The A12 can produce over 100NA HP to the wheels, if the bottom end could hold it I don't see any reason 320 to the wheels with enough boost is so "impossible". Am I saying people don't lie on dyno numbers? No. I'm not sticking up for the shop saying their claims aren't inflated. I'm just saying that to think it's impossible is the same mindset that keeps people from being great and doing things that haven't been done before. In the world of engineering, just about everything short of perpetual motion is possible.

On the flip side, the same shop has also built a 700+whp CA18 that went into that same chassis. More inflated numbers? Maybe, but either way they're a serious shop, not just shade tree tuners.

• 2 weeks later...