HybridZ

Brakes! Who is running what?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S12W with vented rotors and the pads that came with them.

280zx rear calipers and a solid rotor with stock pads.

Proportioning valve removed, lines running straight through.

I have 2 track days (7.25 sessions @20m each) and some street driving and few complaints yet. Its a cheap setup and scratched my itch for more heat capacity and disc bling. Bias seems fine at the moment. 15x10 wheels with street tires so for now that is the limiting factor. After each session all the wheels are covered in dust so at least I know the backs are contributing. Real track tires will want real pads- and the bleeding financial spiral begins.

The mechanical handbrake on ZX rears is fine for emergency or parking, but won't come close to locking the rears. Its geometry and how I integrated the ZX cable to the Z mechanism isn't ideal, but works and is safe.

The big king-crab looking ZX calipers can hit the body and stock brake mounting brackets, so pay attention to clearance with an eye towards full squat.

Did the Z32 front brake swap Looks awesome and works better than stock with original BMC. Have the Z32 master cylinder and plan on installing once I get the turbo install sorted out.

20121213_163202.jpg

20121220_234617.jpg

20121225_173846.jpg

b0b244a7-fbe1-4dd4-902c-e5e47a09f1f4_zps

I am also working on getting the Z32 rear brakes adapted to the rear. I have to say thanks to my brother. He threw the idler bearing on his 300zx ruined the motor, bent all the valves and the auto tranny was slipping. So he has given me all these parts to use.

Edited by tooquick260

Stock hardware, but in great shape, Hawk HP+ up front, MSA's perfomance shoes out back. Rarely driven hard, but seems to do the job at the strip to haul it down in a hurry with no drama, even on hot lapping.

I used to run the Dot 3 Ford HD Truck fluid. NLA

Wondering what peformance Dot 3s are still out there on a budget.

Edited by John Scott

Wondering what peformance Dot 3s are still out there on a budget.

Same here.

What is the best bang for the buck when upgrading fluid.

I like to have a gallon at a time, so with that quantity pricing is probably reasonable.  Leaves enough to soak my clothes and the floor without feeling pinched.

Wagner DOT 5.1  is my new favorite.  Its a 5.1 NOT a 5 which means it isn't silicone based, basically the next step above DOT 4.  Also it is inexpensive, easy to find and has the highest high boiling point of any shelf fluid I have found yet.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am also working on getting the Z32 rear brakes adapted to the rear. I have to say thanks to my brother. He threw the idler bearing on his 300zx ruined the motor, bent all the valves and the auto tranny was slipping. So he has given me all these parts to use.

Did you make the front brackets yourself? What rotors are you using out front?

• 1 year later...

FYI, that pad with the hole in it is a stock caliper R4S pad. Fine for street and autox, not OK for track use with sticky tires. If you're going to do a lot of track days with 20-30 minute sessions, use the R4 pads or Hawk Blues. Not sure how drifting affects brakes, so YMMV.

Drifting surprisingly is pretty mild on brakes, lot of guys run what looks like bigger circle track rotors, there is never really and dragging of the brakes just lock em up for a second and let the throttle do the rest.

Hmmmm Damn thats a lot of money! I know brakes aren't exactly the place to skimp, but wow idk if I'd ever even use the full potential .

that is in all honesty supercheap for brakes im considering ap racing or a stoptech set up and that not even what the rear would cost. also im not loaded or anything this is just my passion in life.

• 3 months later...

I'm running '93 RX7 turbo front calipers with Evo 8 rear rotors up front utilizing a steel bracket.  In the back I went with the Silvermine Motors Stage 4 kit so I could retain a parking brake but still have a balanced brake set up.  In addition, I've got a Wilwood 1" master and a Wilwood proportioning valve, which I have mounted in the ash tray pocket so I can adjust it in the car. I haven't driven my car yet so I can't speak to how well the brakes actually work but I have pretty high hopes.  The front brakes are 4 piston aluminum calipers, and while they used to say MAZDA on them, the guy I bought the kit from ground down all the letters except Z, so now they just say Z.  I haven't actually seen anyone else running this set up, but I have heard it mentioned before but not in much detail.  The brackets are super simple, just a straight piece of steel that gets bolted to the stock brake ears, with two holes that are farther apart and tapped so you can bolt in the RX7 caliper.  I did have to do a lot of filing and messing around with spacing to get them to center properly but they're all good now.  

post-22866-0-08854400-1459704471_thumb.png

post-22866-0-61018900-1459704496_thumb.png

post-22866-0-15261100-1459704509_thumb.png

post-22866-0-47503500-1459704522_thumb.png

• 1 month later...