HybridZ

Poly Urethane Bushing writeup?

Hey guys looked around and didnt find one solid thread about a whole entire poly urethane bushing install. Alot of the information is scattered, broken links, pics are dead, and apart from being scattered they focused on one aspect rather than the whole install. So im just curious is there a write up of someone doing a full poly urethane bushing install to their z? I have a 76 280z, so I know there are a few differences in other models. Any help would be appreciated, I know its not a super hard job but its nice seeing pics and reading about someones experience or any tricks they found making the install easier.

Installing polyurethane bushings is no different from replacing stock bushings for the most part, except maybe having to cut outer shells out of the control arms and the need to grease everything with urethane grease.

Try here:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/suspension.htm

have fun with the spindle pins ;)

Edited by morbias

^ Excellant tip! Actually looking at my rack and pinion it looks like they replaced it previously because it looks in far better condition than some of the other bushings. It looks like they replaced some and others they didnt.

Found an excellent source that did a great job at the rear subframe bushings. Alanticz is also a good site. I will search for the other threads that I have found, but alot are dead pics.

I took a few pictures when I did my mustache bar bushings, scroll down to Post #3

I tried fire; it's noxious, messy, slow and overall not much fun. This is coming from someone who likes playing with fire. I really recommend using hole saws to remove as much rubber as possible before taking the torch to it. It will go MUCH faster and you won't destroy the brain cells you need to put your car back together. You're just drilling rubber, you can use a cheap saw set from Harbor Freight without a problem and deeper saws make it easier.

Here`s a tip to making those rack-n-pinion ply-bushing fit.Place in boiling water for a few minutes. Stretching the bushing for fitment. Work quickly before it get cold.

Also, I ordered the 280z kit for my 240z because it came with an additional sway bar bushing set. The steering rack bushings are different. The 280z rack bushings are wider. I had to trim mine down.

I tried fire; it's noxious, messy, slow and overall not much fun.

I agree with the first three, but I have to say that I enjoyed torching out the old rubber! However, I was outside so the fumes didn't pose a threat. What I did was light it, and then poke at it with a cheap screwdriver to quicken the process.

On topic, atlanticz has exactly what OP is asking for. Many, many common Z jobs are documented very well there.

Edited by Leon

Also, I ordered the 280z kit for my 240z because it came with an additional sway bar bushing set. The steering rack bushings are different. The 280z rack bushings are wider. I had to trim mine down.

Try using a magnet, if it dosen`t stay on you have a aluminum 240z rack. 280Z are metal!

I ordered prothane rack n pinon bushing and had to stretch one and the other i have to make some type of a gasket so i don`t have any movement of the bushing.The bushing would than have a tighter fitment and no play .

Edited by PR280z

Regarding rack bushings. There are two different widths of the left side (near column pinion) bushing. 240 racks are narrower between the bushing retaining ears than 280 racks. Hence 240 bushing on a 280 rack is loose and lets the rack move left/right. Bad. It has to be shimmed or get the right bushing.

From the Energy Suspension Catalog

1970-78 240Z Rack and Pinion Bushing Set 7.10101

1974-78 260, 280Z Rack and Pinion Bushing Set 7.10102

^ I purchased the 280z version but when I installed mine the left side does have a bit of space and the right has a bit of a gap. I had to trim the right side to fit in. The kit so far is good as I just finished the front, everything went in fine. I did have to trim the front control arm bushing a bit but the front went in fine. The rack and pinion is my only concern, I will be getting to the rear now and see how that goes.